quick question

Discussion in 'Mobile Electronics' started by bombyamomma, Jan 17, 2008.

1. bombyamomma

I'm not really into big loud speakers and CD changers and all that. I've got a stock setup in my Z28 and If I ever listen to music it's just fm radio (the CD player doesn't work and it's not important enough to me to get it fixed)

Anyway, the radio gets allot of static when my climate control is on high. also I get all around crummy reception. Is there a quick, cheap, easy fix to make it any better?

Tags:
  2. On a Rice diet

Reception is tough, but one thing to (TRY) is upgrading the ground on the radio.

3. 2001 Red Z28

You should just go to your local walmart and pick up a cheap cd player like a durabrand that is like 50 bucks and then the installation kit is like another ten bucks.. and put that in there. your out 60 bucks, but it is an easy fix and if you want to play cd's you can. Those stock stereos in camaros in my opinion of having two of the late models.. the radios do not pick up for ****. I would just swap it out for a cheap cdplayer if I was you man.

4. bombyamomma

alright cool I'm gonna try the ground thing. Like I said i really don't care about the cd player, it's just one more road distraction, plus I'd rather have an ear on the car. I usually just turn on the radio on long road trips and such.

5. Reverend Drew

If you want to try the ground idea, just figure out where the black wire on the back of the stereo goes. If you can't find the connection, clip it and find a new ground (you'll have to splice a new wire onto the wire you cut). Also, I'd check the antenna that hooks into the back of the headunit, make sure it's clean and shiny, if not, hit it with some alcohol on a paper towel, that could be your problem. Just make sure it's dry before you plug it back in.

If none of that works, i'd really just get another headunit. Not a big deal and if you order one from crutchfield.com they'll send you the new harness and bracket along with the headunit you order. It's probably the best deal in car audio as far as I have ever seen. <><

6. On a Rice diet

I have been an installer for about 12 years now and I gotta say IF stock radios ever have anything over aftermarket radios it would be reception in most cases. It sounds crazy but is so true.