Question About 4th Gen With Bose.

Discussion in 'Mobile Electronics' started by no ones man, Jun 22, 2015.

1. no ones man

I know a bunch of people here have answered questions and mine may sound redundant, but I'm an idiot and am going to try and ask it a different way as I'm not quite comfortable with the answers so far.

Background. Car is '96 hatchback Camaro with the 3.8L, if engine size means anything for specifying what audio setup this may have. As mentioned above, has Bose, all factory sound system. I understand that so far, mentioned is 2 door speakers, 2 rear speakers, both zones are 6.5" and have individual amps at the speakers' individual locations. I found the two door and two rear passenger locations, but mine apparently also has a single speaker in the hatch area, on driver side, snuggled into the corner and inset quite a ways once you pop the mesh shield off; not sure exactly what kind of speaker this is as I haven't ripped anything out just yet. I understand that rewiring is supposedly necessary for aftermarket speakers, and I am getting aftermarkets because the ones in it now sound like garbage and I'm sure at least one is blown.

Questions. I went on Crutchfield, they are telling me there are front door, rear panel, and "pillar" speakers to consider for replacement; which is the "pillar" zone? If the hatch area single speaker I mentioned is the sub, what size is this? Also regarding the sub, my new head unit does not have a preout for a sub; does this mean that I can bypass using the sub and buy four 3-way speakers and be fine? Crutchfield is trying to sell me speakers sized 6-3/4" and apparently these have adapters that come with them, but they supposedly fit; how will this larger 1/4" affect total fit, i.e.- will it cause the mesh shield covers to not properly fit back in place? Is rewiring necessary if I remove said locational amps and plug the wires right into the speakers themselves when replacing the factory ones; if rewiring is still necessary, what is the specific reason for doing so? I bought the converter module; will this be necessary to use if the locational amps are removed?

I am not looking for fantastic sound, just trying to plug in a system worth using as I am on the road a lot and anything beats rattling.

Sorry if this has been answered in the past, I am not making the kind of sense I need out of the answers I have thus read and I tend to be an idiot at understanding people. Thank you to anyone with the patience and care to read and answer my questions.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    Tags:
  2. GaryDoug

As I understand the Camaro speaker systems, the rear sub amplifier box contains the rear-most speaker and the amps for all 3 rear speakers (1 rear and two subwoofer sail panels). Pillar speakers are usually aftermarket ones added to the kick panel areas just ahead of the front doors. I am not aware of any such stock speakers in these Camaros or Firebirds. To change the sail panel speakers, you would have to either reuse the sub box or jumper the wires there to get the radio signals direct to the sail panels. You can download a complete 96 factory service manual, with radio wiring diagrams, here:
    https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

3. no ones man

For handling the power leads to the amps, can I just terminate those at the box separately to avoid a short and then crimp the signal lines together at said box for continuity without having to run fresh wire, or do I need to run fresh?

4. GaryDoug

I've never done this and don't even have a car with the Bose system, but what you propose by crimping the wires together sounds reasonable.

5. Bruisin

The wire there ought to be good I'd just check them all b4 hand and see if any have higher resistance to the others. If they do then replace only that wire.

6. no ones man

Late response on this, but one more question. I decided to run fresh wire and bought an aftermarket amp. Is it safe to mount this thing down to the rear deck, i.e. - is anything such as the gas tank close enough to the underside of the rear deck for me to have to worry about puncturing by drilling holes to mount said amp?