ALL kinds of problems

Discussion in '4th Gen Camaro LT1 (1993-1997 Camaro)' started by z28addiction, Sep 5, 2010.

1. z28addiction

Ok a friend of mine just got a 1995 z28 auto. The people he got the car from were complete idiots. Here is a couple of problems that we are having with this car:

1. in order to start the car, the key has to be wet.
    2. it takes a while to start it. it will crank and then sound like it runs out of fuel. after abouint 4 to 5 tries it will finally stay running
    3. when the car finally starts, it runs off of 3 to 4 cylinders for about 15 to 20 seconds and then it will clear up.
    4. the car is getting no power to the coil. so we have to wire the coil directly to the battery to start it

there are more problems that i cant think of but this is a good place to start. any help is greatly appreciated *z28rocks*

Tags:
  2. Timmz28

needs new opti/plugs/wires/coilk packs/ and ignition. maybe a fuel pump.

3. z28addiction

thats on the list. but before we start spending money on all that we are trying to figure out if it could be sensors or somethings else. if the opti was going bad then i dont see why it would clear up and run smooth. and the coil is fine. becuase it is working ok and everything. it is just not getting power to it

4. Bularf

If the funds were there I would still change all the things timm mentioned. I would also look into changing the ICM as well.

5. RUSTY1

The key has to be wet ??? what does that mean.

6. donny

its a smart key and the reader in the ignition cant read the key have you tried cleaning the chip on the key

7. Mase

Need to start off by fixing the issue with the coil not getting power. I bet by fixing that your fix many of your issues. And I'm going to bet you need an igniton switch. the ignition switch is what powers the coil.

8. Gatorhead

Vats is the problem here... search for it via the search function and then read up on it. There is a plethora of info on here about it.

9. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

:werd:

The first clue to this was "the key has to be wet". That tells me that the resistor in the key is starting to go out, or already has. You need to atleast go get a new key made, maybe change out the ign tumbler, or disable vats with a resistor mod. That is the very first place that I would start.