Clogged heater core and bulging upper hose

Discussion in '4th Gen Camaro LT1 (1993-1997 Camaro)' started by grasshopper645, Oct 1, 2017.

1. grasshopper645

Hi guys,

So my heater hasn't worked for ages. Finally got around to doing shbox's tutorial. Removed both heater hoses at the water pump and ran a garden hose through it. Blasted all this rusty gunk grap out the core :(

Anyway I reassembled, filled and bled with just water initially to check the problem was fixed. Heater now working perfectly. Took it for a decent test drive with some wot and left it idling for a good 20 mins. All seemed fine but the upper radiator hose appears to be really bulging - like a baloon. Looks like its going to blow off. Although it didn't.

The hose is pretty squishy so got a new one and a new rad cap on the way. Hopefully i'm worrying over nothing...

Has never overheated, even when the heater wasn't working. Has been sitting in my garage for the past 3 months and not a drop of coolant on the floor.

Tags:
  2. grasshopper645

Photo doesn't really do it justice, but if you look at where the clamp is, you can see its swelled up quite a bit compared to the bit after the clamp closest to engine.

20171001_233951.jpg #ad

3. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

You don't even want to see my upper rad hose lmao. It's about twice the bulge you have hahaha. But yes, replace it and you will be fine.

grasshopper645 likes this.
  4. grasshopper645

lol really? well thats good to hear. I was just worried that it was building too much pressure but i guess 18psi would cause it to bulge up a bit.

5. Mike B.

When I got mine I had to replace all the hoses coolant, heater, vacuum all that stuff dry rot. Just replace it all slowly and itll get better.

Driveitlikeustoleit likes this.
  6. grasshopper645

Yeah I guess its to be expected on a 20+ y/o car. I've got new cap, upper and lower hose on order. (takes a good 2 weeks for shipping out here). The heater hoses look OK but will have to wait in any case as they are quite expensive, although I see its possible to re-use the existing metal parts, but thats going in the to hard basket for now.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease :)