Pulling drivetrain codes with a Bluetooth scanner

Discussion in '4th Gen Camaro LT1 (1993-1997 Camaro)' started by grasshopper645, Oct 3, 2017.

1. grasshopper645

So I've spent ages going through the various android apps to see of any of them can actually pull the gm proprietary fault codes. I find that most of them, even the paid ones, will only pull the generic emissions codes at least on the obd2 f bodies. Torque pro seems to have raving reviews about how good it is. But even if you install the torque scan add-on and add the custom gm pids it still wont interface.

Why? I'm by no means a car guru but most of the f body codes are proprietary and communicate over the obd1 bus which means these apps including torque pro is effectively useless at doing any actual troubleshooting. I've even tried using various windows applications with a decent quality Bluetooth module but to no avail.

What I did find is one paid android app car gauge pro which appears to work with at least the drivetrain and abs codes. Not sure if it's a complete list but it's a start. Problem is the UI is terrible.

Does anyone have any decent experience with the Chinese tech2 cloans? Read very mixed reviews. Alternatively, does anyone know of a cheepish tool that can pull every fault code to aid in diagnostics?

I feel like I've opened a massive can of worms by trying the car gauge pro app, as it is showing over 30 fault codes, many of which seem quite serious. I've got no idea where I'm even going to begin with fixing it. Worst part is the car runs completely fine with no warnings on the dash =(

Tags:
  2. grasshopper645

I mean seriously where do I even begin Lol? Surely if this is correct I'd be experiencing some noticeable problems if these are correct.

What I really need is an alternative app that can read these codes to verify what I'm seeing here is not just a generic list of codes (I don't think it is but the app layout is not good so would be nice to verify)

Actually looks like this might just be a generic list since many of these codes should trip my engine light. The light isn't on.

Screenshot_20171003-225653.png #ad

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  3. Shoebox

Have you tried scan9495? It's free, but you will need a cable and pc or laptop.

4. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

Which bluetooth scanner hardware are you using? Most of the cheaper ones are based on Chinese pirated firmware code from the early ELM327 OBD chips and to cut costs do not have all the parts needed to correctly communicate with earlier GM vehicles.

5. grasshopper645

It's an obdlink MX brought directly from their website. Tried their Windows program with the GM addon and it was unable to pull two BCM codes from ny '99 vette.

I think i need to put it all on hold and fork out for a chinese tech2 and take the risk!

I will try scan9495 tonight, thanks shbox. I just assumed that wouldn't work because its designed for the obd1 fbodies, whereas my '97 has the obd2..

If anyone knows of a windows or android application that can help me out here, would really appreciate it :)

What confuses me with the car guage pro app, is that it shows no codes for current and history for both OBD2 and the 'GM' code scan, but if i do a 'intermittant GM scan' or 'old codes GM scan' it lists heaps of codes. Without any support on the app though, i cant figure out what the difference is.

6. Shoebox

Yeah, scan9495 won't work with your OBD-II. Sorry for the confusion. I didn't see the car year listed.

7. grasshopper645

I'm trying to work out if the tech2win application provides the same functionality as the physical tech2.

You can buy a usb adaptor on eBay for a fraction of the cost which includes a crack to use the tech2win application without a subscription.

Might give that a go and see what I can come up with.