Proposed Body Kits!!

Discussion in '3rd Gen Camaro (1982-1992 Camaro)' started by jeddy2000, Aug 1, 2009.

1. jeddy2000

I got my September Hot Rod Magazine and it had this article about New Looks for Old Chevy's and this guy named Steve Stanford had dreamed up some bolt on kits to update and change some old Chevys including Camaro's, Nova's, El Camino's etc. One of the one's that I found interesting was the one drawn up for the third gen, that changes it to look like the new 2010's! I thought it was was an interesting concept....what do ya'll think??

[​IMG]#ad

Tags:
  2. mychevyisntheavy

wish i had my old 3rd gen now

3. jeddy2000

Well I have a 1991 RS that I am fixing up and although these will probably never be made, I surely would consider it for mine!!

My RS project car:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

4. JonnySTS

5. guitarisawesome

Reminds me alot of this thing i saw.

[​IMG]#ad

I like this one

[​IMG]#ad

6. jeddy2000

Yeah I saw that article also!! It's the same guy! He is very creative and I wish that some of the things that he does draw up would actually come to life!!

7. mychevyisntheavy

really if this guy can draw up stuff like that. i dont see why they being the aftermarket people should pick up on this. there is alot of money that can be made by doing these mods.

8. jeddy2000

GM tends to be stubborn about giving out the rights for things like that. Other car companies are more apt to give out the rights to produce aftermarket products and they probably make a fortune off of their cut. That's why the younger generation tend to lean towards the "tuner" cars, because there is so many options available for them to make those cars into their own "unique" style. Even the Mustang has many different kits available for them to customize the look of their car. Granted they are not cheap, but they are available. GM needs to wake up and realize, especially now, that there is money to be made if they would just loosen the reins a bit. I know a lot of people would argue that you don't want to mess with a classic or you are ruining the integrity of what our cars are, but think of how many more of the younger generation would be interested in fixing up the car that we all love if more options were available to them. Now, the "tuner" style is not for me, but those guys and gals spend a lot of money on those cars buying aftermarket bodykits and upgrades because they are so readily available to them. Just think of the fortune to be made if GM would do the same for more cars other than the Cavalier!! LOL:chuckles:

9. bombyamomma

more and more Lately I'm looking at the third gens as classics. They were dogs when it came to power, but kings when it came to gaudy, flashy, pizazz. that boxy attitude just screams the 80s. In 10 years, all the 40something suburbanites are going to look at those cars not as vehicles, but a lost time. remember when...

That's why I think this would be a terrible Idea. I'd love to see one or two people tackle it as a custom job, but as far as a mass market building these things on a large scale, it'd be sad. they wouldn't just be ruining old cars, they'd be ruining future memories.

I think Jeff hit the nail on the head as far as gm loosening the reigns, but it should go in the other direction. make a kit to turn a 4th or 5th gen into a 1st or 2nd gen. THAT's something I'd like to see available to the mass market.

10. jeddy2000

I think you have a great point there....and I do agree with you somewhat. I tend to look at things both ways when it comes to the "modernizing" of cars. On one hand you have the older generation, (like me! LOL) that does appreciate the classics and what they were and think that it should be preserved. And then I think about the younger generation and how their horizons could be broadened if there were more aftermarket parts available. They wouldn't have to get a toyota or a cavalier because that is all they could afford and might would start looking at other cars to bring back and revitalize. Now if I had say a Z28 or SS or IROC of that generation, there is no way in the world I would even consider changing it and would want it to be just like it was meant to be. In my case, mine is a 3.1 liter RS and yes I could drop in a bigger motor and "make it into" a Z28 but if you think about it....you are still messing with the integrity of the original car, so even if you leave the outside looking the same, you still have changed the history of the car. Most collectors of the Camaro don't want a 6 cylinder car and would just let them rot away, or build them into a hot rod or something like that. So if you have a "undesireable" car....why not change it and make it unique! The odds are for me.....even though I said I would consider it for my car....even if it was available...I probably wouldn't get it because I would be too busy griping about how expensive it is!!! LOL I just would be happy with a paint job right now!!

11. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Those are kinda neat to tell you the truth.

12. JMann94z28

thats one hell of an AMX concept, wish it could be true, even if it does have charger looking head lights