Pilot Bushing Question

Discussion in 'Power Adders' started by Richs79, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Richs79

Ready to put my transmission back in and I went to Install the pilot bushing and was able to press it half way in with my fingers. Then, with a few gentle taps with an aluminum dowel and malet it was seated. Doesn't move or turn, can't take it out with my finger and it seems like it won't come out without a tool. Thing is, the last time I did this I remember banging the hell out of the bushing to get it in. Should I remove it and get another bushing? Or leave it be. Been using the same bronze bushing over the years.

2. Zspoiler

I use a cut offed input shaft an bearing grease .You pack it full of grease then tap it out with the input shaft .Its "old school"but it works.

3. Richs79

You seem to have misunderstood my question. This is a new bushing which went in very easily. In the past I remember really beating on them. It's the same bronze oilite I've been using for years. This time it went into a new crank. I tried pulling it this morning with a puller and it's seems it's in there pretty good. So was wondering will this slip in the future since it installed so easily. Thank you for any and all help on this matter

4. mullettcar

pretty sure it will be fine

5. Richs79

I was hoping to hear that. Couple other guys said it would be ok too. Just never had one go in without malletizing it for 20 minutes. I mean I pushed it half way in with my thumb, then tapped the rest with a solid aluminum dowel and a nylon mallet.