PC Realistic Dyno?

Discussion in 'Power Adders' started by OldMech, Feb 10, 2019.

1. OldMech

Not sure where to put this question. Please move it elsewhere if there is a btter place for it...

i have been building engines sonce the late 70's. From simple street motors to supercharged drag motors, roundy round motors, and everything in between. I am on my last project for myself, my 80 Z28...
    I once had Desktop Dyno that I tinkered with a lot, but found that when converted to real life applications it wasnt very accurate. I am looking for something better... AND YET... maybe somethign more virtual? IS THERE an engine building game I can tinker on relentlessly without ticking the wife off with greasy clothing? :p
    I want a relatively accurate Dyno sim where I can select parts, install them (including blowers, 144, 177, 4-71. 6-71 etc, etc... And then test them with different cams and heads. While I woul dlove to do this IRL, the money for such a project would be substantial. i don;t have it and likely never will. SO... virtual is the only way i can do it....
    Ordered the 434 for the Camaro this year... will put it together and wrap it up to wait for heads and blower next year. BUT, would like to tinker with numbers and heads etc...

WRENCH is a neat looking gamebut not interested in working on the car etc, JUST want to build engines and try them out. so, is there anything of that type out there yet?
    Thx! KP

Tags:
  2. NastyZ

I had desktop dyno aswell.... ya way optimistic. ... there is a guy around my neck of the woods who would sell engines based on that software...... well we started holding dyno days aro6nd here..... a supposed 435 hp engine put 270 rwhp..... budddy was pissssssed to say the least. I knew something was up before that when he was selling a tpi engine with stock cast heads and sayimg it would throw down 430 hp.

3. OldMech

It was pretty easy to fudge some airflow and a few other things to get a higher HP than was real world applicable. If you put the time into making SURE it was right, it was usually within 80 ish horsepower... It was actually enough to see changes in flow compression, stroke etc... but not accurate enough in the long run.
    Comp camsapparently has this now? Anyone know if they worked on it?

4. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

@Z28/Ken and I were talking about something similar to this and he was spitting out all kinds of facts. Lets see if this is what he was talking about.

5. NastyZ

I figured they fudged the airflow numbers as its usually the one least sure about. Or manufacturers have inflated numbers

Kinda like how some dyno shops would fudge the atmospheric preasure to show high gaines from mods they did is another one

6. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

I'll stop by Wednesday for my full input. Its been busy here on the home front, it's almost 11pm and my to-do list doesn't seem to have gotten smaller!

7. OldMech

Its been busy here on the home front, it's almost 11pm and my to-do list doesn't seem to have gotten smaller

WAIT! is it... supposed to get smaller? Is that a thing? Never heard of a to do list getting smaller so I had to ask. :p

8. Mwilson1995

I use that software to help pick cams all the time. If you dont have all the info especially accurate headflow it can be way off. I assume the program assumes perfect AFR and Timing because there is no adjustment for it. Ive used my actual MPH & Weight at the track as well as rear wheel dynos to compare how close the software was and its not too bad if your accurate with the information you give it.