Oil coolers

Discussion in 'V6, I6 and I4 Performance (All Years)' started by ss6532, Feb 20, 2023.

1. ss6532

What do you think of oil coolers before the turbo? Any benefits, got mixed reviews when searching online. Not really worried about reduced oil flow since I’m running a Garrett GT35R with a.035 restrictor so doesn’t really need alot of oil. The oil cooler has 10an in/out was going to use 10an female to 4an adapters. Go from my oil sender to oil cooler with 4an and then 4an to turbo feed. Also the oil cooler comes with a fan mounted to it.

Tags:
  2. ss6532

Talked with one mechanic I know who has turbo cars and trucks and he said it wouldn’t hurt to add a oil cooler, made me feel better. I’m in AZ so summertime it’s pretty warm.

3. ss6532

Found a place to mount it, have to hold off on installing it, getting knee surgery and then hopefully minor heart surgery.

4. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Wow, completely missed this thread, apologies. Glad you found a location for the cooler.

As for the other two things, best of luck on the knee surgery, and I don't think there is anything "minor" about any kind of heart surgery. Best of luck to ya!!

5. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

If you're worried about oil temps, I suggest also running full synthetic oil. Its a lot less prone to shearing at high temperatures.

4thand26 likes this.