no clutch shifting

Discussion in 'All Non F-body Tech' started by 4thand26, Aug 25, 2015.

1. 4thand26

Just wanted to gage youse guys' thoughts. I am sure a bunch will say it is dumb, but I was playing around this afternoon in the neighborhood and it seemed quite easy and no grinding.

Tags:
  2. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Yes, it can be done but it's not a good idea with the helical cut gears in a manual transmission in a car. Big trucks that is all we do is "float" gears. But in a car, it will end up wearing out the transmission a little faster. But again, it can be done.

3. 4thand26

Thanks for the info, it felt smooth, no grinding, but I get your point.

4. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

I remember a time I was driving a '64 Corvair and I shattered the pressure plate. There was NO clutch lol. I had to kill it at every light, start it in first and float the gears all the way home. That was not fun lol.

5. 4thand26

I watch some videos and wanted to try it. The car has 17k miles on it. I was doing it in the neighborhood. It was super smooth and the transmission popped right into gear easily and quietly, not saying I will keep doing it.

6. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

I've done it but it was on a car that had a clutch wearing out, I was broke and trying to nurse every bit of life out of the clutch I could. I wouldn't do it unless I had to.

7. 4thand26

I'm just trying to picture what damage could be done if there isn't any grinding.

8. Past from the Blast

If you're really good you can get the hang of it without wearing it out. Lot of racers to it because its faster shifting.