need help with SS hood

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by nemocamaro, Apr 7, 2011.

1. nemocamaro

when i bought my after market fiberglass SS hood, the scoop was not cut out (and still isn't). I really wanted to get a grille so I bought a 96-97 SS SLP hood grille from hawks third gen. When i got it i quickly realized that it was way too big. and too narrow. (It sticks up too high and doesn't go all the way side to side.) So I looked at a few 96/97 SS's and noticed that the grille that i had was to correct grille for those years, but that meant my hood did not have the same scoop as the regular 96/97 SS. I always thought they were the same since it gets continually larger towards the cowl. But they aren't.

I was hoping that someone with a 98-02 SS could measure the grille to their hood and let me know what the measurements are, since Hawk's won't let me return this one, I am stuck with it. Therefore, I would really like to make sure that if I buy a 98-02 SS hood scoop grille it will fit.

Thanks in advance.

Tags:
  2. BdNflnc

Dang, that sucks! I hope someone can help you out. Thats pretty messed up that Hawks wont let you return an un-used item.

3. richard96

I have a grille in my toolbox. If you tell me what the measurements are, you can have it for shipping costs. If it fits of course.

4. nemocamaro

that would be awesome, if you could measure it when you get a chance, i am going to measure my hood tomorrow. Thanks.

5. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

RJ, I am very confused here. The hood you have is for a 96-97 SS correct? Or rather the 96-97 SS style? The screen you bought is for a 98-02 SS and you want to get that to work? If memory serves me, the LT1 SS hood scoop insert is shorter and taller than the LS1 counterpart, so that may have something to do with it. Also, the afermarket hoods were formed differently, in that, the scoop area is formed at an angle, and not perfectly straight.

6. richard96

Shoot me over some measurements and Ill check it out for ya bro.

7. nemocamaro

i have the 96/97 hood and I bought a 96/97 grille. but it is too tall and not wide enough. i was hoping that a 98-02 screen would work.

8. nemocamaro

also, Hawks does returns, but i waited too long

9. nemocamaro

Ok, I measured my hood scoop and grille

The grille I bought (96/97) is 12" long with the overhang, 11 5/8" with out long and 2" tall with overhang

my scoop needs a grille that is 12 1/4" long plus the overhang and can only be 1.5" tall with the overhang.

If the 98-02 grille does not fit this, what should I do? I think I am stuck. I got the hood off of eBay almost 6 years ago, fit and finish are amazing, even for an eBay hood. It has a completely finished underside, so you know it wasn't cheaply made.. but no grille was included with it, and I have no way of even finding out who I bought it off of.

Looking into it, I think my hood is a Glasstek hood. There are certain aspects to their hoods that mine has (extra fiberglass material on the sides and front). Their ad says that the scoop can be made functional by opening the scoop, but they have nothing for a grille.

10. richard96

Mine is 2" tall as well. Bummer

11. SOMSS

Have some one fab a grill for you, it's probably the only way to get a grill to fit that old fiberglass hood.