Need help removing gasket glue from the paint?

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by 84Z, Feb 16, 2011.

1. 84Z

I put in a thermostat last week and got some Indian Head Gasket Glue on the fender! I tried washing with soap and water and then taking my clay bar to it but that didnt help much! Any ideas? Im sure there is a really easy answer to this!

Tags:
  2. 84Z

I know someones got to have an idea!!!

3. sweet-94z28

I have used products like goo gone and wd40 on paint before without issue.

4. masonb51

Small Small amount of diesel or kerosene will work. Just b sure to clean it well afterwords to avoid any spotting to occur.

5. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

I would use a little acetone, that will break it down and take it right off. Then make sure you wash the area and give it a coat of wax.

6. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

I have used WD40 as well on a lot of things without any issues.

7. BdNflnc

This is a good option, just dont soak it.

If all else fails you can try 36 grit on a 5 inch grinder. :biggrin:
    JUST KIDDING!!!! Do not do that! haha

8. 84Z

Thanks guys! I think I will start with something a little less powerful than the grinder! Hahaha!!! I wont be able to get to it until later this week or maybe next weekend because of work but Ill let you all know what ends up taking it off! Thanks again

9. MasterZ Staff Alumni

first of all I would try and get it off as soon as possible because you dont want it to bake in the sun, heat from the engine, etc... not to mention the chemicals in the glue could be getting in the paint and cause it to etch the paint too..

I have also used WD40 and it worked pretty well for cleaning the glue off from emblems, bugs, etc.. I think that is less abrasive first.. then like Rick/Landon said acetone would also be a good shot..

What ever you do, make sure you clean the area afterwards and rewax the area as well.

10. 84Z

Well shoot! I guess Ill get it cleaned up tom morning then! I was going to wait till the weekend but Ill get on it as soon as I can!