need help for a special girl

Discussion in 'All Non F-body Tech' started by 4thand26, Apr 15, 2017.

1. 4thand26

I am modifying my 2015 dodge grand caravan for my hadicapped daughter. Anyone know of a way to lower a mini van a few inches? Lowering springs?

Tags:
  2. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

I don't know a thing about Caravans, but depending on budget and/or what's available, you might want to consider an air bag suspension so you can lower it when stopped and raise it to normal height when driving so you don't have clearance worries.

FANTA-Z likes this.
  3. 4thand26

yeah been thinking about that. would be about 4-5k i think including install. just a 2-3 inch drop would work

4. 4thand26

so believe ig or not i have a plan, ordered some ramps on ebay, just gonna make a few minor additions to them and they should work fine and they will even have the proper ADA slope for the chair. Going to test that and then see if I should air bags or not. Regardless, still way under the 25k cost of a convertion van.

5. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

You could always cut a coil out of the springs but then that might make the ride a little rougher. If you can't figure it out and you have a fab shop nearby I bet they wouldn't have a problem helping you out because a lot of them enjoy helping out people with special needs children.

6. 4thand26

yup, thtat's the back up plan, should have all the parts arriving by Wednesday and then I can see how it works. I have a buddy on the police force so I am asking if I can get my whole contraption inspected.

7. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

Wish I lived closer cause I would love to help out and fab something up for ya. Keep us updated on the progress.

8. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

Sounds like a heck of a project! Is there going to be a mount of some sort for a chair where the current center bench seat is now?

9. 4thand26

So the van has good spots for tie downs. And her chair fits perfectly. So I ordered some ramps that will fit and make sure everything works first. The. Try to figure out the best way to attach and store the ramps.

10. 4thand26

did some test runs today, stopped by Top Flight Corvette, and they had some ideas for custom fab stuff. Should be done in a week or two :)

FANTA-Z likes this.
  11. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

Are they doing the work or you are?

12. 4thand26

mix. i've been doing work with them for 17 years

13. 4thand26

This is what I've been playing around with today. I really like the progress made. I have ramps too which are light weight and. Or in the picture.

IMG_0619.JPG #ad

IMG_0620.JPG #ad

IMG_0621.JPG #ad

FANTA-Z likes this.
  14. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

Progress is being made!!! Looks good so far, nice job!

4thand26 likes this.
  15. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

I wonder if someone makes any kind of latch down system to save the time of the tie down strap setup?

16. 4thand26

I am waiting on seatbelts and a back plate for them to install and other then that I think I am done. :) Hopefully this will make life a bit easier for us. This little girl loves her road trips.

FANTA-Z likes this.
  17. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

Can't wait to see the final product!

18. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

19. 4thand26

it's not going to be that spectacular, though i was color coding the tie downs with nail polish last night :) The spectacular part will be the functionality. When I have time, I will spray paint the tie downs purple for Aicardi Syndome.

20. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

For what you are doing for your daughter, it makes it spectacular and that's why I am interested in seeing it :)

21. 4thand26

Well folks, here is where it stands. Notice in one of the pictures, the extra seat belt buckle I installed to the frame of the chair. 18156993_10212709689717849_5858577977341041420_n.jpg #ad
    18157219_10212709689877853_4598652161285766286_n.jpg #ad

FANTA-Z likes this.