Need a shopping list for detailing.

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by flak_monkey, May 16, 2009.

1. flak_monkey

I have NEVER successfully detailed a car. I always !#*!#*!#*!#* up and the wax ends up baked on the car or some other stupid thing. It's just not my bag I guess.
    But here's the thing. I have an orbital buffer now, and my dad is going to help. I need help picking out products. I see the car detailing guide and i want to ask what I can buy locally before g13.

My paint is in !#*!#*!#*!#*ty shape from the previous owner. The hood has checking, there are swirls and scratches everywhere, and the whole bumper looks like it's a light gray instead of black. What products do i want? I need to get them locally. I don't even know where to start or what to do. Can you help out quick so I can get her at least presentable?

I think I need a buffing compound, a wax, a shampoo (which I have, Maguires car soap), and claybar with the spray. Problem is I don't know what order they are applied in.

wash, claybar, wash, buff, wash, wax, right?

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!

Chris

Tags:
  2. JonnySTS

Wash, clay bar, wash, wax, buff, wax, buff. Cllean all windows, vaccum carpets, armor all interior panels, clean and degrease engine bay.

3. JonnySTS

If you have big swirl marks, you might want to get some 3m swirl mark remover. You can get it for light or dark colored cars. I got some for mine. Havet tried it yet.

4. bakesz28

Almost. What kind of "orbital" buffer do you have? In order to do a true detail, you'll need a real buffer (around $200). You can't buff out any scratches with a $40 buffer. Wash the car thoroughly. Clay after you wash, while car is wet. They make a lube (spray) that works really well with clay. No need to rewash the car. Just rinse after clay. Here is where the real detailing comes into play. If have have a "real" buffer, you would use a wool pad with surface prep/paint remover. There should be little or no residue left over. No need to rewash. Next would be a foam pad with paint seal (wax). Leave little or no residue. Wipe with microfiber. Interior as listed above, you should be good. If you don't have a good Dewalt, Milwaukee, or Makita buffer, go easy on the clay. Cheaper orbital polishers can't always remove the scratches your clay can put in your clear. Not sure what you will use, but if it is a cheaper orbital, after clay, use polish 1st, switch bonnets, then wax, then microfiber.

5. Camaro Queen

When you wax especially if you are doing it by yourself.... Only do a panel at a time wax then buff then move on to the next panel. This will help keep it from overdrying.

Also if you can do your detail in the shade it makes life a whole lot easier. If not... then you kind of have to work fast.

6. brianswimmer23

best tip i can tell you is go with MEGUIARS on everything that you need. check out their site on all of their product's. they even have a forum on how to use the products as well.

7. Extinct Staff Alumni

Chris,
    I'll be more than happy to give you some pointers and help you out any at G13. I've got more info in my head than I could write...most of it just advice I've received from others and some pointers I've picked up on my own.

See ya on the road,
    Matt:wavey:

8. 96 Z-Ragtop

My biggest piece of advice would be, no matter what route you choose, always work with the paint in the shade. DON'T do anything in direct sunlight. It'll make your project twice as hard, and you run the risk of baking something into your paint.

9. Extinct Staff Alumni

:werd:

See ya on the road,
    Matt:wavey:

10. EsCrasston

http://poorboysworld.com

check out their site.. i have tried a lot of their products, and had good luck with all of them.. their waxes and swirl removers are awesome..

11. flak_monkey

Okay thanks guys! Hopefully I can get it looking good. I have a regular orbital buffer. I know it's NOT the porter cable unit everybody talks about. Its just an orbital my dad has.

12. 96 Z-Ragtop

13. flak_monkey

Yes I will be detailing in my garage.

14. flak_monkey

15. 96 Z-Ragtop

I love that website. The company is based about an hour north of me. I buy all my detailing supplies form them :thumbsup:

16. SexyHawk

Chris, just do the best you can with what you have. Anything you don't get done or aren't sure you know how to do we can get done in Atlanta. Most of us bring our entire detailing supply with us and we're all willing to share and help out. I'm sure she's going to look b-e-a-utiful!!!!!!!!!! :)

p.s. one thing I would recommend though, if you are going to be doing any of the buffing yourself with the electric buffer, practice on a spare piece if you have one. Chris had an old spoiler that he let me practice on to get the hang of it. It takes a couple tries to get used to the way it moves and to learn how to keep it steady over curved body lines. Good luck!

17. flak_monkey

So I bought about $50 worth of crap today. i already have the Maguires Tire Shine gel that makes my tires smell like yummy grape doose. LOL.
    I bought their wax, quick detailer spray, claybar kit, and wheel cleaner spray. I have a jar of 3m stuff of my dad's that's a buffing compound. Should I try and use it with the buffer we have or no? I'm not interested in it if there's some sort of chance it'll damage my finish.

I might only clean it up, wax it, no buffing. Then just share my beer with anybody who's willing to help me get rid of all those scratches and swirls.

18. Camaro Queen

if you have time to use the buffer go for it. Maybe your dad can help. But let me tell you it is going to take a lot of time to get all the stuff out of all the little areas.

bring your detailing stuff with you. I will show you a trick using your tire shine when you get there.

As Julia said.. we will help with what you need help with. IF you need any help.

19. flak_monkey

I always need help.

20. Camaro Queen

Yes but we are talking about detailing help hahahahhaha