Can this be fixed?

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by Paulster2, May 2, 2007.

1. Paulster2

So I don't know if this belongs here, but seemed the right place ...

I have a deep scratch in the front bumper that came with the car (nice feature, eh?) Do any of you think it can be fixed, or do you think it would just be cheaper to get a new nose? Here's a couple of pics. If you do think it can be fixed, how much do you think it should cost (so I don't get ripped).Lemme know, thanks!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Tags:
  2. Bowtie_Z28 Staff Alumni

I would say it would be cheaper to get a new nose since you will be looking at new paint anyways.

3. Paulster2

That's what I was thinking, too. Thanks.

4. L0tuS

look around in the junk yard and try to find anther front nose if not maybe some type of bondo. just hope that it doesnt crack out

5. Spyderking69

yeah id just get a new nose bro not worth fixing and painting it

6. Camaro Queen

Im with the rest of them. Get a new nose and have it painted. Then you dont have the worry of the bondo cracking. If you repair it you could end up spenidng more in the long run if you do have troubles. Not to mention getting the shape jsut right. And if you end up having to buy a new nose in the end then you will have wasted a lot of time and money.

7. bakesz28

Some good bondo, a little paint... it probably could be blended. Keep in mind a new nose (GM) is about $300. Plus you'd still have to paint it anyway. I've got some major crackage (paint) from a overly friendly guardrail that I'll be fixing myself. An aftermarket nose is around $130, but you never know how the body lines will match :(

8. ecniv

I'd probably get a new nose. Having said that though, spend the cash and get an OEM one (or find a clean, used OEM bumper at a junkyard - I bet you could find a black nose somewhere for cheap). The eBay special bumpers, while incredibly cheap (mine was $26.00), are not well made, and the fitment sucks.

9. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

I would personally use some urathane filler on it and save it. The damage is minimal, and with a quality 2-part catalyzed urathane body filler, that bumper will be like new. Do not use Bondo on it, as that is not formulated to flex with urathane, and will crack over time.

10. istoleacamaro

just get a new NON gm nose... mine was like 60 bucks in primered black... only difference is you need to get a thick vinyl bowtie to resemble the stock bowtie

11. bakesz28

Yeah, that's what I meant :)

12. mrpeeper

looks like someone hit it with a weed wacker:dizzy:

13. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Looking at these pics on a quality monitor looks as though you have prior damage under that paint. What you may want to do is budget on buying a new cover and strip that one down do see how much filler is in it, and if it is really bad, then just scrap it and get a new one.