AUX Inputs on 2000 Monsoon CD Player

Discussion in 'Mobile Electronics' started by stock2000z, Dec 11, 2014.

1. stock2000z

Hi,
    I have a 2000 Z28 with the monsoon system and in dash single CD player. It has the harness above the drivers rear wheel but no changer installed. Does anyone know how to add a set of AUX inputs to this system (ie for an MP3 player) possibly in place of the CD changer? I am an engineer so I sont mind wiring something custom or building some small interface circuit but I have no information on the CD changer interface other than the factory wiring diagram.
    Thanks!

Tags:
  2. GaryDoug

You have to remove the radio first. Very carefully pry off the radio/AC-control panel's plastic bezel. Remove the radio.

Now there are two ways to do the rest:

The first way requires a working slave player (remote cd changer) and uses an adapter made by PAC (Model AAI-GM9). It only requires unplugging the cable to the remote unit and connecting the cables for the module supplied with the kit. It has RCA-type audio output jacks.

The second way only requires a working internal cd player or tape player. A CD or tape must be playing in the drive for this to work. That enables the switching for the audio from the cable between the CD/tape drive and the amps. Take off the radio front panel and separate the two halves of the case. When you open the head unit, find the cable for the player and cut two wires shown in the first photo (opposite end from blue wire). Mark one set of the same wire's ends to keep them separate from the other two before continuing. Connect 4 wires to the 4 cut wire ends and route them to an audio jack. The jack should carry signals through normally when nothing is plugged into it and should switch the main board inputs from CD player to aux jack when something is plugged into the aux jack. What you are doing is tapping into the audio wires from the drive to the amps, but a CD/tape must be playing to keep the amps active.
    I used an 8-wire RJ type connector on the side of the radio to allow me to easily unplug it when I removed the radio the next time. It would be optional. I staggered the ground wires to make for better shielding. A network cable was used to go from the connector to the AUX jack next to the cigar lighter. Some folks avoid all that trouble and install the jack in the radio itself but that didn't appeal to me.

98Monsoon aux jack mod.jpg #ad
    98Monsoon aux mod with RJ jack.jpg #ad
    jack wiring.jpg #ad
    98TA aux jack.jpg #ad