Monsoon Speaker Question

Discussion in 'Mobile Electronics' started by 75caddy, May 3, 2006.

1. 75caddy

Hi all,

My name is Adam and this is my first post, so bear with me if my questions have already been answered elsewhere in the forum. I tried looking in the monsoon sticky post, but it didnt answer my questions.

Anyways, I own a 2001 camaro Z28 with the monsoon system. I have quickly come to the realization the monsoon system is garbage, and would like to rectify the situation as quickly as possible. Also expediting the need for a new system is the fact the CD changer is broken and I cant deal with radio only.

Here was my plan, and if anyone has any suggestions let me know:

Replace head unit with Alpine CDA 9856 CD/MP3/WMA player

Door and sail panel speakers with Polk audio db675 speakers
    I think I can use the speaker wires from the old head unit that go to the speaker with an adapter to the new headunit right? Just cut out the monsoon wires and hook the old speaker wires directly to the new head unit and new speakers?

PAC SWI ALP steering wheel adapter

Back panel polk audio db 400
    Can I hook this up somehow to the head unit, or do I have to get rid of these speakers?

Infinity Basslink T subwoofer system
    Has anyone heard any good or bad about this system? I have already installed stereos in the past and want a good self contained unit with no hassle.

Sorry about the long post guys. Any feedback will help

Adam

Tags:
  2. justinakajuice

Well I guess if no one else is gonna help, I'll give you some advice.

HU choice is a good one. I have come to realize that Alpine is the way to go. I started with a Poopsoon stereo in my car too. 5k miles on the car, speakers started crapping out. I replaced them with 140 bucks worth of Sony's and realized that I had just bought even crappier speakers than the blown out ones. After a month or so, with the different Ohms of aftermarket speakers, my factory amps cut out. One. Two. I finally decided to go with Alpine since I've never gone that route before. Glad I did.

Step 1:

Buy your HU of choice, make sure it plays MP3 discs or you'll kick yourself in the ass later.

Step 2:

Buy some Alpine Type S's or if you want even better sound, Type R's. I went with S's for the price. They sound great, but every once and a while, I wonder what could have been.....

Step 3:

Buy an amp to run the speakers. You should really do this with steps one and two at one time, but it is expensive. I have two Alpine amps in my car. I went with a four channel amp for the doors/sails. Perfect match. With just these items, the car sounded pretty good, but not good enough for me.

Step 4:

Stealthbox. You have to buy one of these things! ESPECIALLY if you have t tops, otherwise you will lose your storage. I bought mine used for 150.

Step 5:

Buy an amp that is rated UNDER your sub. Don't want to blow it out do you? I'm running a 250w amp through a 300w speaker.

Now that you have all of that together, it will sound good. Loud and clear.

There are some different options of course, but you will have to plan it out so that you keep the FINAL setup in mind when buying. With your HU, you should make sure that you have at LEAST two sets of preouts for your amp(s). I made sure to have two because I was running two amps. What I didn't know was that some amps take TWO SETS of preouts EACH. Very important to know when planning. My 4 channel just happened to have a set of preouts from it that I ran to my 1 channel. Now if you were to go with a 5 or 6 channel amp, you will more than likely need two. This will power everything. Some subs require a two channel amp to run the one speaker. So that's also another thing to think about. 4+1? 5? 6? Whatever you want! Just make sure that you NEVER EVER EVER cheap out on speakers!!!! I did and it cost me 140 bucks. That would have made the difference between the Type R's and the Type S's.

Oh, you could also use a Subthump amp rack. I got mine for free when I bought my Stealthbox.

Well, good luck!