Monsoon issues...

Discussion in 'Mobile Electronics' started by myk, Jan 30, 2020.

1. myk

Hey folks. Twelve years into owning my T/A the car has finally developed sound system issues.

The system is stock other than a Pioneer head unit that I installed a few months ago. Just recently, I noticed that the sound level will play at a normal level, but will suddenly drop to a very low volume, but the strange thing is the sound isn't just low, it sounds muffled, as if someone put a pillow over all of the speakers; this happens randomly, I never know when it's going to happen. The second issue is that there is no sound coming out of my left door panel speakers. I tried installing the stock head unit, just to see if the Pioneer was the issue but the randomly dropping volume and dead left door panel speakers remained. I examined the wiring and connectors in the dash to see if there was any damage, but everything is fine.

What can I do to diagnose these two issues further? I was hoping to get ideas from you folks before I tore the door panel off to look deeper into the wiring for the dead door speaker issue. As for the randomly dropping volume level, I have no ideas. Any suggestions and help are appreciated, and I thank everyone in advance...
    Edit Quote Multi

Tags:
  2. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Because I'm not that familiar with Monsoon systems, I'm going to ask this question.

Is there an external amp in that system? If there is, that could be your issue. It could be the amp going out. You can test this by running speaker wire directly to the speakers and see if it solves the issue.

3. myk

Yes, the Monsoon system has a separate amp that is located in the passenger side hatch area by the spare tire. Thanks for the response, I'm going to try what you suggested. If I have to replace the amp, should I just buy another monsoon unit, or can I just buy a new aftermarket unit? How would I attach it to the wiring harness?

4. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

If it were me, I would go aftermarket so that you can control the quality. You would need to run new wires for the best sound quality. You can use the existing wires and you can install it in the same location, however that is not ideal. I would run RCA's back to the trunk area and wire everything in back there.