moisture in the intake

Discussion in 'V6, I6 and I4 Performance (All Years)' started by mullettcar, Dec 24, 2021.

1. mullettcar

so i gotta question
    i have a v6 5th gen that i use for winter driving (you would be so surprised at how awesome a 5th gen is in the snow ) anyway i had a issue with the stabilla trac ended up to be the throttle body sensor and on the 5th gen you cant change the sensor you have to replace the throttle body, well i got a new one and when i took the old one off i had water and oil on the back of the TB and some in the intake NOT coolant just watery oily film on the backside and some in the catch can now i park it in a heated garage and drive it to work in freezing cold Canadian temperatures, now i have checked the oil and checked the coolant no signs of crossing fluids so i dont think its head gaskets. question is do you think its just moisture from going from warm to cold then back to warm everyday?

Tags:
  2. Bill Hubbs

mullettcar, I believe a little clear water in the intake behind the throttle body is normal from operation, especially when the car is driven in colder weather.

I also believe that moisture is the reason some engines run hot engine coolant thru the throttle body. Under the right conditions the cold air coming in could freeze the water and lock the throttle blades before the engine warms up.

I would bet you would have to be in a very cold place for that to happen. I've always rerouted the coolant away from my throttle body's and never had any issues in Colorado. Although I rarely drive my cars is very cold weather.

3. mullettcar

ya i live where it is -40C - sometimes -50C and the last couple weeks been -30C already also i checked my pcv valve on pass side and it has worn out no more rattle when i shake it so gotta get a new one.
    as for driving in the cold i dont drive my 4th gen in the cold but i bought the 5th gen for winter driving after doing some research and finding out that they are really good in the winter with the traction control and the stabila trac.
    that way i look cool all year around LOL

4. cardo0

Well it sounds like your PVC system is doing it's job but maybe the engine isn't running long enough to get hot enough to evaporate the water where it collects. Only you know how long the engine runs and how warms it gets. Maybe you can look at again in the hotter months of summer. Just my best guess here. Ya know your LT1 has a heated TB which everyone loves to bypass for colder intake air. Seems like GM left that out on the 5th Gen cars.

5. Not Dave

I've only lived in Southern California where humidity stays low and central Texas so don't have the same cold temp experience you do.

But, physics! I would have to agree that it has to do with cold air, warm engine and amount of humidity. I agree to check it again in the warmer months. Cold air condensation seems to be it, from my slightly (and dangerous) government educated noggin. I could be talking out of my posterior section.

The oil is a byproduct of direct injection, I believe. I've read where folks get a lot of oil in the intake on those Camaro's. I looked into getting one for a time so read up on forums (and I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express a few years ago). You mentioned a catch can so you know about that too.