Mason-Dixon Drags ; Opening Day March 3rd

Discussion in 'Street/Strip Racing' started by MikeyZ28SS, Feb 20, 2018.

1. MikeyZ28SS

Mason-Dixon in Boonsboro, MD opens for the season March 3rd, 2018. Weather permitting I'll try and make it there, I'll definitely be there multiple times this year, and begin my quest for a 12-Second ET, while being as close to stock as possible.

Tags:
  2. MikeyZ28SS

3rd was cancelled due to weather. But the 10th was on. Car ran a best of 13.08 @ 106.55.

Planning to go again this coming Saturday the 31st. Ready for that first high 12 Sec ET, removed the front sway bar, which should help 60' and ET because of improve traction - weight transfer so will be pushing the limits of the street kumho's for that 12.99 or better.

And Yesterday ordered a set of Nitto NT-05R Drag Radials, which WILL improve the traction a bunch over the street tires... Hoping they are delivered by the 30th so I can get them on Friday night or Saturday morning before heading to the track.

FANTA-Z likes this.
  3. MikeyZ28SS

Bummed... 13.11 @ 105.18 was best of the 4 runs. Yes Temps were about 10 to 15 degrees warmer than previous best 13.08 @ 106.55 (2.00 60' times on street tires) but didn't think the temp / DA difference would be enough to slow me 1 to 2ths and 1 to 1.5 mph!

NT-05R's and pulled front sway bar did both work as expected (front end lifting much more than before - see picture), hooked well with 20psi, 1.95 60'.

Are these LS1's really that finicky to weather?

Guess to get the first 12, I'll need temps below 50, or else go ahead and install the headers and Y-Pipe, then retune... Followed with the Intake and 92mm TB... Tired of playing around a tenth at a time! Frustrated at the moment...

31-Mar-2018 Mason-Dixon.jpg #ad

4. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

You don't have headers? Yes, definitely install headers. Even without a tune you will be well into the 12's. Add the CAI at the same time. No real need to install a larger TB as it's not really going to make a difference until you get to about 500hp.

5. MikeyZ28SS

Yeah, the Hooker L/T Headers & Texas Speed OR-Y are sitting in my garage for a while now... waiting for me to get my backside moving! Got 2 different garages who've offered to assist, use their space/tools.

Kitchen remodel is eating every free hour, other than a escape to the drag strip :)

I bought the Dorman LS2 Intake (read it was a decent and cost effective upgrade from the LS6 intake, and much better than my LS1 intake), cleaned up the ports a bit, and since its a 91.6mm TB neck, went with the WARR 92mm TB (clears perfectly), so it is also ready for install other than some odds and ends; block off plate, etc... and a Truck 85mm MAF, hopefully in May I can get it installed.

6. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Ah okay. I didn't know you had an aftermarket intake to go with it. In that case, not putting on the stock TB would actually reduce turbulence in the intake since it can flow in with not as sharp of an edge behind the TB.

You put those 4 items on and get a tune, and you still may not see 12's unfortunately. Because if you hook good enough, you will run straight into the 11's!!!

But, I know how the whole time thing goes. It will take about a day to install the headers yourself. I did it in my old garage and it took me about 7 hours on an LT1 car. Not sure if the LS is any different, but I suspect not.

MikeyZ28SS likes this.
  7. MikeyZ28SS

That'd be a wonderful problem to have! I'd be content with Mid 12's, anything better... :beerchug:

Trying to talk to a few local garages who do the visual inspection for the state, to find one friendly to performance minded folks like us - and who'll pass me, more by being able to "tune out" the emissions, giving a pass on that instead of the visual, which requires cats, egr, etc.. all be intact. That's whats been holding me up from the install of the L/T & OR-Y... PA has it by county as to what "Annual inspections consist of, Franklin County where I live only requires a "Visual".