LED cluster lighting

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by BlueZee28, Feb 5, 2011.

1. BlueZee28 Staff Alumni

I've been toying around with the idea of new lighting for my cluster. I wanted to go with blue but the '90-'92 clusters have yellow lettering and I tried a blue LED and it was VERY dimly lit and had a greenish tint to it.

I went ahead and just put red LED's in my stock '91 cluster. It actually turned out better than I thought it would. It doesn't look great in the pictures because I was using the camera on my phone. It's actually very evenly lit throughout unlike how it looks in the photo. There are no dark areas on it, overall I'm very satisfied for the time being.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

It kinda reminds me of the cluster in my '06 Grand Prix. The camera on my phone makes the red lighting look pink and distorted on both the clusters...

[​IMG]#ad

Tags:
  2. egott_91

Nice, it reminds me of the gauges in the Fiero we used to have. Always liked Pontiac gauge lighting.

3. sweet-94z28

I really like my red gauges. I always liked how Pontiac did that.

4. greg_74

I was thinking of putting red LED's in my stock cluster too. Was it hard? I'm guessing its different doing it on a 91 vs a 02 but just thought I'd see how involved the process is.

5. sweet-94z28

It is different, but its not bad to get the cluster out of a 02.

6. greg_74

We should pull the cluster sometime this summer when you're over in Warsaw Nate. :nervous:

7. StrobinSS

Looks real good. Switching out to LED's was one of the first things I did to the SS

[​IMG]#ad

8. BlueZee28 Staff Alumni

Mine was easy, but I've had my cluster out of my car many times before so I have it down to an art now. I'm not sure how easy or difficult it is taking out a 4th gen cluster, I wouldn't think it would be too bad though.

I got the LED's from superbrightleds.com, the ones I got have 5 LED's on each "bulb". They're the 194 bulb style so they fit directly into the factory 194 bulb sockets. Take the old bulbs out, put the LED's in and then you're done. They're like $2 per piece depending on what color you go with.