Is Your Optispark Failing ?

Discussion in 'Camaro Articles' started by MoffZ28, Nov 10, 2004.

1. MoffZ28

Is Your Opti-Spark Failing?

LT1 owners have dealt with the Opti-Spark distributor for 11 years now, but there is still much confusion regarding the causes and symptoms of a failing unit. Tapping into the PCM with a scan tool is a good way to start, but sometimes no codes will be set. Before diving into the Opti-Spark, be sure to verify that your grounds are good and the coil and wires are not the source of the problem, as they are much easier to change.

Symptoms:

* Car suddenly dies and won't restart
    * Starts but immediately dies
    * Extended cranking to start
    * Rough idle
    * Sputtering
    * Backfiring
    * Trouble reaching higher rpm
    * Black smoke from exhaust
    * Poor performance with car warmed up
    * Weak plug wire spark
    * Codes 16, 36, and 42 may be set

Tags:
    en.lil, CipsZ28, al3858 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Louvit Staff Alumni

good info Moff

3. mdstud

Ya sticky that :D

4. MoffZ28

Thank You my Brethren.

mdstud likes this.
  5. al3858

You definatly get a Rep Point for that one... the symptoms are just the start. Now if you have a bad opti... there is a controversial decision on how to repair it.

You can look in this thread to educate yourself on what way you want to go to make that repair.
    :blingblin

6. MoffZ28

I know, and on goes the debates that make us all unique. I have always been a do it yourselfer who luvs to put one over on the system/stealership. I have always rebuilt my opti for $150.00 and will continue to do so. I'm not saying that's what others should do by any means. It's just one of my many pet peaves...

7. Jbest

Moff did you buy the rebuild kit from Parts Direct, or did you get the kit at NAPA? The cheapest I've seen for a rebuild kit was like $200 for my 93, but it's a sealed opti so they're a little more...

8. TxviaMd

New guy here. What kind of noise, if any, will a bad bearing in the opti make? I have a noise in the front of the engine. It's not the water pump(electric) or any pulley's. I removed the belt and ran the engine, still makes noise.

9. Lyle A Staff Alumni

Welcome to the site. Mine had a bearing failure and I didn't hear anything.

10. TxviaMd

Thanks for the welcome. I have already gotten some good info from just browsing through.

11. mdstud

Where in texas are you?

12. TxviaMd

I live in Cypress, which is NW of Houston

13. mdstud

ahh nvm was gonna see if I could meet ya somewhere an have a look.

14. TxviaMd

I was thinking the same thing. Oh, well.

15. lcnvz28

well i have a 94z w/ 30k on it, and it does alota sitting in the cold damp northeast, and i think the opti got damp from the sitting, and it causes the car to run a little bit rough, will an extended drive on a highway cure this, thanks.

16. mdstud

Its possible, do you have any error codes?

17. lcnvz28

naw no check engine light, but do you think a good long drive will fix that?

18. MoffZ28

Hook an air compressor up to the vent hose and blow the moisture out. Maybe even rig up a hair dryer.....That should get rid of any moisture.

P.S. I bought an AC Delco cap and rotor for $158 from O'Reilly's auto parts yesterday.

19. mdstud

Just because the SES light isn't on doesn't mean there aren't any codes.

20. lcnvz28

ah ic well on the 94 there isnt a vent hose any other ideas.