Idle tuning

Discussion in 'Computer tuning and diagnostics' started by KYWes, Aug 18, 2019.

1. KYWes

I'm wanting to tune my idle settings.

As I read my datalog with the engine idling and warmed up my bank 2 LTs are 160 and short term are in the 132 range generally plus/minus 1, My B1 long terms are 143 and short terms are 127.

As I read this bank two is having fuel added at idle. My idle does smell rich.

Am I reading my log right?
    If so, what's the best way to correct the problem?
    Do I adjust Individual Cylinder Trims?

Second issue.

If I set the engine for Speed Density mode it will barely idle and it will drop rpms on deceleration such that the engine dies. Ideas?

I turn on the MAF and it idles better though I'm still not completely satisfied.

Tags:
  2. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

Depending on your cam you might not be able to get the idle just perfect because of the overlap. Do you have a wideband, and if so is it just on one side of the exhaust? If so which side and what is it reading at idle? What is it that you don't like about the idle, is it surging, or just doesn't want to idle in closed loop?

3. KYWes

I don't have a wideband at all as per my other post.

My issue is I believe I'm running rich on bank 2. The exhaust definitely smells rich.

I'm not settled about the idle but I do believe the cam is a major culprit. It doesn't lope it just doesn't seem as smooth. True to form I can really feel the engine come alive with rpms.

I tried doing some speed density logging and tuning but in SD mode I have to keep rpms up to keep the engine from dying. I tried SD by unplugging maf and by setting a switch in Tunercat. When I unplug the maf it idles very badly. The idle isn't as bad when I switch it off in the bin.

4. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

If the PCM is adding fuel but still smells rich it's going to be one of two things:

1. there's an exhaust leak either from the manifold gasket or O2 bung
    2. overlap on the cam is letting uncombusted air into the exhaust.

Either will cause the PCM to read a false lean. Your trims with a good running setup should be between 5% rich to 5% lean, though the PCM will generally keep adding/removing up to about 15-20%. With one bank that different from each other, I wouldn't think it's the cam grind or you'd see similar numbers on both.

5. KYWes

So, Ken, you think it must be an exhaust leak?

6. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

I am leaning towards Ken in thinking it's the cam as well. My car idles right at 14.7 to 15 but will still smell rich out of the exhaust.

KYWes likes this.