ICM Cooling Mod

Discussion in 'Camaro Articles' started by Tony, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Okay, I have seen a lot of guys that are wanting to do the mod and that have had there ICM crap out. I am sure that there is a thread on this already but here is a new one, lol.

First off, you will need to remove the ICM/Coil. You should have two bolts/studs. Take one washer and all the ground wires and put them in the driver side (right hole when looking at the head). This will allow you to remove the coil/ICM without touching the grounds. Now take two washers and put on the bolt. The washers are required, if you do not use them you will bottom out the bolts in the head and you can crack the head by doing so.

Now that you have the bolts in the head, you should have two studs sticking out. Put one washer on each stud just to get it that much further from the head and to provide a little more cooling. Now put the ICM/Coil on the studs and put on two more washers. Then put on the nuts and tighten them down.

You can also take a wire wheel to the ICM cooling fins and clean them up a little and make them shine.

Now your ICM/Coil will stay a little cooler and should live a little longer than it would sitting on the head.

ai163.photobucket.com_albums_t292_tonynewlin_Z28_Z_28085 (1).jpg #ad

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Tags:
    kat69 likes this.
  2. bakesz28

And this is supposed to work better why?

3. GradeZ28

theres your answer my man

4. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Haha, you beat me to it.

It just gets the ICM off the head and puts an air gap in there to that it don't get so hot.

kat69 likes this.
  5. bakesz28

I'm aware of what it does, I've seen several write-ups, directions on here. Looks like your washers are in a little different configeration and was wondering if you had a better way to do it. That's all. BTW, how do you like the MSD coil? I was thinking of getting one. Notice any difference?

6. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

I did it mainly that way because the more surface area you can get that is not on the ICM, the more cooling you will get. That and I hate messing with those friggin ground wires. Now I can take the ICM off and not have to touch them.

And I love the msd coil. Considering that the other one died, I notice a huge difference. I think the stock coil is rated at 20K volts and the MSD is something like 40K volts.

7. bakesz28

Gotcha. Not to get off the subject of the main thread, but were there any symptoms of your stock coil going bad?

8. pmr253

break up @ high rpms, and weak acceleration under load. The same as a burnt wire only it will not have any power up top.

9. Neenjah

Well after that... youve got me worried. When I take off at a normal pace, shifting at 3k rpm's maybe.. it seems like right after I slip into the next gear it dogs down a little for the first second or two but then goes back to normal..?

10. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

The pic in the first post doesn't work anymore. If a mod can delete the link, I would appriciate it. Here is the pic of what I did to my motor, it has worked great and I have not had a problem.

ai163.photobucket.com_albums_t292_tonynewlin_Z28_Z_28085.jpg #ad

ai163.photobucket.com_albums_t292_tonynewlin_Z28_Z_28085.jpg #ad

kat69 likes this.
  11. one eyed willy

wow,looks easy enough!

12. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah, it didn't take me long, about 5 min, and most of that was finding the washers around the shop.

13. transamws6_97

I did this but didn't use washers. I talked to guys at my local performance shop that specialize in ls1,lt1,tpi and they said you don't have to use washers that it wont hurt the head

14. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Mine bottomed out in the head and I had to use washers.

15. Badazz 97 T/A

i just did this cooling mod 2 days ago. easier then i thought it would be. mines about 3/4-1 inch off the head now

kat69 likes this.
  16. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Article Updated

I have updated the article in the first post to correct some errors as well as I have rotated the image correctly and made it a little larger.