Hugger Orange Spray Paint

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by The93Z, Feb 9, 2010.

1. The93Z

Anyone know where I can buy Hugger Orange spray paint? Website? Local? Anywhere, don't matter.

Tags:
  2. guitarisawesome

Well i searched long and hard for the site i saw that had stock paint. However...just go to a local paint shop, give them a color code for the paint and they should be able to put the paint into a spray can for about 15-25 bucks a can. Sounds expensive, but that's just how it goes. It's what i did to paint my mirrors/accent parts.

3. jay97LT1

what r u painting with it spray can paint will not hold up in the sun

4. sweet-94z28

I was gonna say, you can buy a HVLP (high volume low pressure) spray gun at walmart even for like 30 bucks. If you were to use that and spray regular automotive single stage through it, it would be better than spray bomb.

5. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

I have seen Chevy orange but never Hugger :(

6. BdNflnc

Does Dupli-Color have anything?

7. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

It will if it's mixed like it's going to be sprayed through a gun. they just put it in a can so that it's easier for those that dont have a spray booth setup. But as stated, it's really expensive for a small amount. By the time you get enough paint in a can that is custom mixed, you can get yourself a nice spray gun. And you can make a booth out of PVC pipe and plastic sheets. You just don't want any dust to be flying around. I know that Landon is going to come in here and chew my butt out, but I know that it can be done lol.

OP, what is it that you are trying to paint?

8. The93Z

Im probably going to paint my bike hugger orange, well just the frame. I think ill do the fairing a nice gloss black.

9. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Be sure to use plasticizers in the paint for the farings. I think that is how you spell that anyway lol. You wan't the paint to bend a little otherwise it will crack.

As for the frame, I don't think that will take much paint at all. I know that it takes about 2lbs of powder to powdercoat a bike frame, but I have never painted one before.

10. sweet-94z28

I'm not sure about bike plastic, but I know an adhesion promoter is necessary on a lot of plastics as well.

11. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Yes, same deal with the bikes Nate. Something needs to grab onto the plastic so that it won't flake off. Good catch.

12. BdNflnc

Ok, here we go Tony!!! HA HA, just kidding... you arent that far off.
    Tony is right that you can get a regular spray set up for not much money... you can get an HVLP gun from Harbor Freight for around $15, and most people have air hoses already, if not, theres another $15. And you can do like he said and make a temp spray booth out of pvc pipe and plastic sheeting, and just use a box fan or 2 for your ventilation, and just put furnace filters over the fans to filter the air.

As for adding flex additive to your paint.. dont waste your money. They do work good, but only for a short time. Eventually the flex additive will cure out with the rest of the paint and it will be as if it were never in there to begin with. The better way to go about it is to remember that the thinner the paint buildup is, the more flexible it will be. If you put layer after layer after layer on, the paint will build up a pretty think mil thickness and thus become more brittle and less flexible.

And Tony... I painted my car in the garage with plastic hanging from the ceiling and the door closed down on some fans, so like you said, you just need to keep the dust under control and thats all that matters. :thumbsup:

Good luck on your bike! :thumbsup:

13. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

haha, I figred that you would have sprayed your car in your booth at work. And I didn't know that about the flex additives, that's good to know. What do you use on the front and rear bumpers on our cars? Cause they are known for spider cracks as you know.

14. BdNflnc

Just keep the paint as thin as possible, I know thats not much of a help, but thats really the best thing you can do... once it spider cracks, it needs stripped, or if you just sand it a little and respray it, they will show back up later.

Adhesion promoter is a great idea, or you can use an epoxy primer with the catalyst that is intended for plastic parts and that will bite in real good.

15. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Chevy engine orange from Seymour is about the closest thing to Hugger I have seen. You can get that from pretty much any paint jobber in your area.