How to reduce tire spin on launch from dead stop.

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tires and Suspension' started by matthuck88, Oct 28, 2018.

1. matthuck88

What is the best way to help the fourth gen z28 launch? I have massive tire spin and I still have the 3:23 rear in it. When I change the gear ratio its going to be even worse. Any must have suspension parts I should look at buying?

Tags:
  2. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

Watts link suspension with a good sway bar like what BMR offers ought to do much better than what the factory installed (simple panhard bar setup).

The Camaro is not terribly stiff, anything which can be done to reduce body flex is going to help it plant its power better. What is your max budget?

3. matthuck88

Budget? Lol. I really don't want to spend more than $4-500 on the suspension. At least for now.

4. Zspoiler

Throttle control is one

5. mullettcar

mine has a traction control button to stop wheel spin but i like wheel spin so i turn it off all the time lol

6. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

LCA's (Lower Control Arm), TA (Torque Arm), PHB (PanHard Bar), shocks and throttle control. Make sure all of the components are adjustable so you can tune it in. Might look into some SFC's as well (Sub Frame Connectors). If you do all of that, it will hook even on street tires unless you have engine work done.

7. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

Good tire selection too, and inflated to the lower end of their inflation range. A set of drag radials. They won't last long, but they will stick.

8. Driveitlikeustoleit

Traction control doesnt sound like much of a launch,
    Its for taking off in snow and Ice.
    For my stock 97 lt1 6 speed with drag radials .
    Its riding the clutch just a little with just enough throttle to squeal the tires a little,
    And easing into the throttle just enough to keep it squeeling a little bit,
    and youl feel it grabbing at the pavement until it grabs totally and you bang it to the floor.
    About 5500 rpm stab the clutch in and out as fast as you can and totally let off the gas and hitting it as fast as you can.
    and repeat for next gears.
    The G force will be incredible .
    The 60 ft on my Gtec starts at 2.01 seconds and gets faster.
    Its accuracy is with in 1% and its proven itself on other vehicals at the Drag strip comparing with time slips.
    Sorry I dont have a Quarter mile et.
    I bottomed out the car the day I was taking it to strip ,
    Had to be drug off a couple irrigation boxes hearing a loud pop and it was my
    exaust manafold bolt .
    Its run like bad ever since with bad exaust leak.
    I think the way I drive it , it will pull a low 12 second quarter mile.
    You guys will laugh now but if you rode in it.
    You would think theres a LT4 under the hood.
    I embrace the LT1s Low end to the max.
    But I dont think youd be Laughing if you raced me with a stock LS1.
    Just out of curiosity I wonder if any one has raced a 6.2 liter 2nd gen LT1 with their stock LS1?

9. OldMech

Older thread, but wanted to chime in on it... Feathering the clutch.... means replacing the clutch, especially if it is a stock clutch...

I used to run a 68 Camaro at New England Dragway.. HOOKING meant the right tires, traction bars, sub frame connectors, and weight transfer... Weight transfer meant drag shocks, and even putting the battery in the trunk.. heating the tires in the bleach box, and adjusting the shocks so that the rear of the car DROPPED when you launched, and didn't come back up until you were half way down the 1/4... this helped PLANT the rear tires on the concrete pretty hard... I didn't have a lot of money to spend. I had twins 5 years old and was working for Chevrolet as a mechanic.. so I was pretty strapped for money. Slapper bars are cheap, sub frame connectors weren't as cheap. I had a spool with 456 gears behind a TH400, behind a B&M Blown 327 topped with a predator and fired with a 6AL ignition. When it was tuned in it would JUST pull the front wheels off the ground, the rear tires still squeeling a LITTLE without smoking them up. The adjustable drag shocks were the ticket to makimng that car hook, and they were not terribly expensive...
    https://www.jegs.com/p/Competition-...eering-Adjustable-Drag-Shocks/743923/10002/-1

Pictures; 1992/1993

IMG_20181027_0002_NEW.jpg #ad
    IMG_20181027_0001_NEW.jpg #ad

10. NOBOTL

I used to run new england drag way as well ! i remember seeing your camaro run there. isn't that Bud budzinski in the red coupe?

11. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

Slapper bars will certainly help with traction on the tracks, and straight lines on the street, but they are horrible for corner handling. If you take a corner tightly, and one side bottoms out due to the slapper, the inside suspension will lift suddenly and can quickly cause loss of control.

11_22.jpg #ad

12. Zspoiler

Traction bars are made for drag racing .and there is other types all depends on what you are going to do with the car. There is a HP book on How to Make your car Handle that could help you.Its around $10-20 s

13. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Snap loose, what I feared most when racing.

14. OldMech

I didn't know his name, but I seem to recall someone calling him Bud in the pits... That was a sweet little car. THOSE were the days.. I miss going to NED laying on the old asphalt in the pits, under someone else's car to help them get down the track again... The thrill of the run was what brought us there, and then the comradery and fun kept us coming back. Running for king of the street, and HELPING the guy that beat you last week fix his car so the bugger could beat you again........ What were you running NOBOTL???

15. NOBOTL

i ran a 1980 green and black camaro painted like a molson ice bottle in street class said :dirty deeds" on the spoiler

16. OldMech

Too many years ago. Not sure of anything. Is it just wishful thinking or do I remember seeing that spoiler? 80 was my car of dreams back then, I SHOULD remember it... back then they were too expensive for me.. then when they were cheap I had twins to raise, and by the time the kids moved out the prices were going back up, and the cars I could afford were the ones that had very little left of them to work with.

17. NOBOTL

the car in my sig was my fathers car at the time , now its my car. my mom ran a black 1967 camaro ss it looked bone stock but ran low 12' in street class. the vanity plate actually was1967ss

18. carnutt94

19. carnutt94

I also have a 97 LT1 6 speed....and yes it has a traction problem.....but most concerned about BAD wheelhop....any suggestions ...anyone ???