How to identify an SS.

Discussion in 'Camaro Articles' started by Ryatt-Motion, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

This question came up yesterday when a friend called me and said he was looking at a 99 Camaro and wasn't sure if it was an SS or not, so I figured I would do an easy-breezy how to for your guys to look over or print out to take with you when looking at that supposed SS.

On the 1996 it's kind of easy to spot these ones especially if the car is a low mileage well preserved unit that has a majority of the original parts intact because the 1996 was the only year that every SS came with the ash tray lid SS-SLP plaque affixed to it. This should not, I repeat not be considered the only means of identifying a 1996 SS because many people try to clone cars this way by stealing the lids from cars at auctions, (I know because a person I use to deal with did this on a regular basis!) That nothwithstanding, there will also be a whole host of SLP "Second Stickers" Generally in both door jambs and on the earlier vehicles, on the radiator core support like the one pictured below, it's the small sticker on the radiator core support in the bottom right hand corner.

[​IMG]#ad

The sticker is from SLP and informs you that the vehicle has been altered and what options were added to it.

For 1997, things got a little more inconspicuous because the "Build Plaque" became optional and it was not numbered like it's predecessor but was rather just a 1/2" by 3" plaque that read only "CAMARO SS" and was moved from the cosnsole to the center dash trim bezel.

[​IMG]#ad

However only for 1997 did the Z4C 30th Anniversary SS come with a white "30th Anniversary plaque" like this one pictured here.
    [​IMG]#ad

The Second Sticker rule continued on for the '97 model run with all cars being equiped with the Second Sticker in the door jamb(s) indicating the upgrades that were made.

For 98-02, things got very ambiguous and quite difficult to discern as to whether a Z28 was an SS or a clone. This was due in part to the Second Sticker. Cars with Base Alterations Package were cars that were designated by St. Therese to go to SLP only to recieve the Hood Wheels and Spoiler and thus did not have a Second Sticker because they were considered Base Alterations. I'm not going to go into detail as to what options were where and why as I have shaken that tree enough. Basically what we are looking for to see if an SS is the real deal or a clone. For cars that have no second sticker, you want to look in the Drivers Side Door jamb, and locate the build codes, you want to find the code "WU8". This code transcended the mid '97-'02 model run and was present on all SS's for the 4th Gen; however, for '96-mid production of '97, The SS was identified by the alpha numeric code, "R7T".

Another code to look for was Y2Y, this was the appearance package or Second Sticker designation given to 98-02 SS's.

OK, lets say the build sticker is marred or blury and you can't read it, what now? Easy, just look at the tire inflation sticker, the tire size should read 275/40-ZR17. This really only applies to the 98-02 becaue the 96-97 came with 16" wheels as well as 17's (Note: All 1996 SS Convertibles came equiped with 16" X 8" ZR-1 Wheels).

If all else fails, you can always call your local dealership and ask them for the price for the hood or spoiler of a said Camaro and give them the last 8-10 numbers from the VIN#, if the hood comes back with a price of $1800+, you know you have an SS, and for the spoiler coming back with a price of nearly $1000.00, you know it's going to be an SS as the VIN# doesn't lie.

SS FAQ's

Q- I'm selling my 1998 Camaro Super Sport, yada, yada!!
    A- The Camaro was never called a Super Sport-EVER! It was just an SS.

Q- I thought all SS's were Manual 6-Speeds?
    A- The Camaro SS throughout it's build was available as an Auto or Manual.

Q- My 2002 Camaro SS came form the factory with the Corvette LS-6 engine.
    A- No it didn't! No GM factory equiped Camaro ever came with a 6.0L LS-6, rather the late 2001-2002 cars (Z28 and SS) came equiped with the 6.0L block, but the standard 5.7L internals. There were no engine upgrades done to the SS, as it was the Base Z28 LS-1 engine. The only addition that was made was from 2001-2002, SS's could be ordered with the Donaldson Air Lid and 345hp Performance Package which included a Low Restriction Cat-Back exhaust system with either Dual/Dual Tips or the Infamous Center Mount System.

Q- My car has cloth interior, I thought all SS's came with leather?
    A- The 4th Gen SS could be ordered with a variable cornicopia of options and in nearly any configuration (Hard Top, T-Top or Convertible). Take my car for example: My car started out life as a Base Model Z28 with no major comfort upgrades, meaning it had standard cloth interior, came equiped as a hard top, was ASR delete and rear window defogger delete. The SS options were added to that car because it was either:

1) Specified by the Dealership that submitted the request to GM and SLP for that configuration.

2) Specified by the buyer as to what options he/she wanted on their vehicle.

Q- My Camaro SS does not have the Hurst Shifter Why?
    A- The Hurst Shifter was optional line item from SLP on 96-97 M-6 cars; however, from 98-02, the SS Camaro was built "in-house" at St. Therese and essentially left the plant with the wheels, suspension and the Hurst shifter from GM. The Hurst shifter could be ordered for the SS, the Z28, Formula, transmission-Am, WS.6 and Firehawk directly from the dealer manifest list. Many cars came Hurst equipped; however, some dealers opted not to include the option, as did many private customers ordering their cars.

Q- My hood and my spoiler do not match the rest of the paint on the car, is my car a fake?
    A- Not necessarily. All Z28's that were designated to be sent to SLP to made SS's recieved their new hood and spoiler from SLP and were pre-painted and installed at SLP by one of their competent body men which is why the color is not a spot on match and the finish was generally a little smoother than the rest of the vehicle. 1996-1997 models were sent to SLP with all thier parts intact and recieved their new ones while there. 98-02 cars were shipped to SLP with no rear spoiler and a slave hood and then recieved their new upgraded parts.

Q- I am looking at a 2002 SS, it's black and the seller is telling me that it is a rare 35th Anniversary Model Limited Edition and that there were only a few of them ever made, how rare is this car?
    A- About as rare as a $3 dollar bill! There was only one variation of the Limited Edition, and that was the Red with silver checkered flag stripe model. There were no special order black, white, NBM, SOM or any other color for that matter. All of the Anniversary 35th models were Bright Rally Red and all of them were disgnated by the production code Z4C. So if anyone tells you any different, they are lying!

The Camaro SS could be ordered with all sorts of upgrades ranging from just floor mats, to Bilstein Level II Suspension, Chrome ZR-1 wheels, SLP Grille (01-02 only), Hurst Shifter etc, etc. That was the beauty of dealerships that participated in the SLP Program.

There are more details that I know I forgot to mention so I will add to this as I think of them, this is mainly an identification guide with some good extra information!!

Tags:
  2. Phantompooper Staff Alumni

Hmmm, according to this, I have a real SS. Cool.

3. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Your sick but funny man Pooper!

4. Art Vandaley

hey, that really helps out Rick, thanks for the cool info!

5. Phantompooper Staff Alumni

According to this info Matt, you don't have a real SS. Yours must be a clone. ;)

6. Art Vandaley

hahaha.... id rather have a clone than nothing at all......

7. Art Vandaley

ps, whats up with the sig pic haahaha...

8. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Ok boys and girls, as promised I am going to add to this thread with information as it comes up.

A question came up in the Lounge about the 2002 Z28/SS Limited Edition cars and what options they came with from the factory.

When a Camaro was selected to be made a 35th Anniversary Model, it was given the production code Z4C and also because it was an appearance upgrade as well, they were all given the production code Y2Y. There were 3000 Limited Edition models made for the United States and an addition 166 +/- for Canada.

The Limited Edition was Available with with no second sticker, meaning it could have been delivered with Base Alterations which on the 2002 LE car consisted of the Hood, Spoiler, Machined finish 10 spoke SS wheels and the trophy mat. All the other options were available through the second sticker rule which meant that SLP participating dealerships could have ordered you for an additional cost all the options your heart desires.

A great car off the top of my head that exemplifies "All the Options" is a member of ours, named SSHEETS, his car came with every SLP upgrade you can think of such as:

35th Anniversary Limited Edition
    Bilstein Level II Suspension
    345 HP Performance Package with Center Mount Exhaust
    Auburn High Torque Differential
    35th Anniv. Floor Mats
    Dash Plaque and Key Fobs
    35th Anniv. Car Cover
    35th Anniv. Portfolio
    Hurst Short Throw Shifter

I'm sure there is something I am forgetting but that is pretty much the crem-dela-crem of options you could get on a 35th Anniversary convertible!

Another fact that you might want to know is that the 35th Anniversary grille (Red and White SS grille) was not available as part of the second sticker option and had to be purchased directly from SLP.

Lastly, did you know that the Limited Edition 35th Anniversary was built in 2001 as early as May and bodied and titled as a 2002? Many of these original prototype cars served as the Brickyard Festival cars and carried the Production code Z7D denoting them as Festival Cars. The original prototypes as I call them had a unique dot matrix to the fade in the stripes when compared to later production model cars.

Just a couople more fun facts for you guys and gals to know.

9. CipsZ28

Was this for ALL 2002's OR for ONLY the LE's?

10. Phantompooper Staff Alumni

:cussing:.......

11. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Actually it applies to the 30th anniversary as well as the 35 Anniversary model.

For 1997 both the Z28 Limited Edition and the Z28/SS were both Z4C specific.

Another fact to know about the 2002 models is that funding was already stretched as far as it could go and any plans of a Limited Edition 35th Anniversary Z28 were shelfed. The Z4C Program was limited to the SS only which is why there are no Limited Edition Z28's for 2002.

12. CipsZ28

With this much knowledge you should write a book. I'd buy one.

13. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

HAHA!! I know som stuff, luckily I have great sources like Scott Settlemire LOL!!

14. ZTwentyAteU

dang, mine must be fake.....haha

15. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Another fun fact to know and I remembered this looking at your car.

The Camaro SS was never available with the "Sport Appearance Package" because cars that were designate to recieve RPO-Y83 "Sport Appearance" were sent to Magna de Coma to have the body kit installed and would have then had to be shipped back the St. Therese then shipped to SLP Engineering for the SS Upgrade, then back to St. Therese for departure. Therefore as a cost issue, RPO-Y87 was never available for the SS. But there was once exception to the rule, one lucky sumonabitch is driving around in a 2002 SS that accidentally got shipped to Magna de Coma for the Sport Appearance package and that car is truly an accidental one off. That car was shipped to a dealership in California and it's whereabouts are unknown.

16. Iwanta69rs

so i don't have a SS........ :crying:

i don't care read my sig

17. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Blake I am going to take a shot in the dark here and confirm that your car is not an SS.

And as it relates to your sig, my SS's testicular fortitude is greater than your Z28's. :biggrin:

18. Iwanta69rs

well if a girl looks at my car she like wow

when a girl looks at your car shes like hes compensating for size hehehehe

19. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

But when the girlie's see my car, they see Liquid Perfection, when they see yours, they see an uneven sitting bucket-O-dents :dunno: LOL!!! OK this is getting mean!

20. stangkiller2005

:lol: now thats funny...hahaha... sorry rick.. but man this brought tears to my eyes...hahaha