headlight UV protectant

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by Z28/Ken, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

Anyone here tried one of the UV protectants you use on headlights after they been restored from faded condition? I'm considering either the 3M or Sylvania products, or something else if it's highly recommended. I want something that will last a year or more between applications.

Tags:
  2. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

When I do a restoration on a headlight, I clearcoat it with a really good clear that is made for plastic. As for just something that you put on like wax (which will work), I have never used any of those products.

3. NastyZ

A product called liquid gold is a great polish. For after you restore the headlight....i think mercedes bemz dealers up here stocked it ..not sure now. But we loved it..and all my snowmobile friends loved it on their sleds

4. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

A lot of people use this if they don't spray them as Tony stated.

Opti-Lens Permanent Headlight Coating

5. NastyZ

Curious.... is that like a thick coating ? Is it removable? Or is it like putting a hard clearcoat on it? Seems like a neat idea

6. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

I think it's like a hard clear coat.

7. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

Thanks guys, I'll check into those. I recently restored mine, using the Turtle Wax kit, was given it for years ago as part of a "car guy" Christmas gift basket. It did a fantastic job, but I've heard since its the outer UV coating you're sanding first they fade again quicker than original unless something is on it to protect it.

Hmmmm... now that I think about it, does that clear 3M film they use for clear bras, does it offer UV protection?