Hay guys i need some input

Discussion in 'Power Adders' started by NastyZ, Oct 16, 2019.

1. NastyZ

Without relocating the pcv line and crank vent tube to the un pressurized sized of the throttlebody
    I was running only the 2lb spring just to see how ot all ran together... but i think this dimg dong had the wasegate turned in half way

1. Would it throw of the boost /vac guage alot?
    2. How bad would of affected oiling?
    3. Any other negatives possibly associated with that would be appreciated

Thanks gents

Tags:
  2. NastyZ

Anyone?

3. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

I would help, but 1. I'm not sure what you are actually saying and 2. I'm not a person that plays with boost. That is more @Z28/Ken that does that stuff.

4. NastyZ

Lol.... ya i struggle getting my pojnt across at time.

On a boosted motor..... you have to relocate the pcv line and crank vent tube.... both come out of the valve covers and connect to the throttlebody.... which is now under preasure because of the turbo. Both lines have to be relocated to the intake tube before the turbo.... which is not under boosted pressure.

Just seeing if anyone had some input about the affects it would have on the things i listed above

5. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Okay, I get what you are saying now, and this can all be related to fluid dynamics. So lets start at the beginning of your questions and I will post what I know or can theorize.

1. if you are only doing the PCV (Pressure Crankcase Valve, so a little redundant on what you stated. Not trying to be an ass, just pointing out), then it should make no difference on the engine boost/vacuum. It would be pulling the air from the crankcase and not the intake tract.

2. I don't see it affecting oiling at all. All you are doing is pulling out blow by that is going around the rings.

3. Only negative I could see is if you don't have a catch in there somewhere to condense and separate the oil that is in the vapor. All of that oil going through an impeller could be bad and could cause unwanted results in the intake and combustion chamber. What I mean is, you are pulling out oil rich vapor from your crankcase which is around 200ºF. If there is excessive blow by (and there usually is with a boosted engine from what I know about them) then you could be putting more oil through your intake than would be desired.

If it were me, I would either run some kind of a catch can with a breather going to the intake before the turbo, or I would just run a catch can. This option will depend on if you are running a MAF sensor or not since it needs to know the exact amount of air that is going in and out of the engine.

As for any vacuum before the turbo (you didn't specifically mention this, but I think it was hinted), there will be very little vacuum before the turbo. If there is vacuum, it will be more from a venturi effect than actual vacuum in the line.

I'm not a boosted kind of person, but I think that all makes sense. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

JeremyZL1 likes this.
  6. NastyZ

Ya no Maf

Also.... on a NA engine.... the pcv and crank tubes are negative preasure i am pretty sure, but if i keep line in stock location..... those lines now recieve the boosted preasure. Hense the need to relocate them to the non boosted intake tube part.... so they then recieve that drawing power...as to draw out the crank case preasure. ... Instead of something pushing that preasure back in. So hoping putting them lines real close to the turbo gets me the vacuum on them lines i (think) I need....so i am now thinking placement is key.....how far or close to turbo.

Yes i too was thinking of a catch can.....but with where the turbo is ( highest point on top of motor)and the oil return line gojng straight down and plumed back into the fuel pump blockoff plate ( for old carbed fuel pump) . This design has worked well for other using it.... no excessive oiling.

So, you think oiling wouldnt be greatly affected with the improper setup lines. I just remember the engine builder not being happy when he checked vacuum. ....totally forget how much o was at idle....dam

7. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

When you say "oiling" are you talking about the oil in the engine, or the oil that is feeding to the turbo?

8. NastyZ

I mean in the engine.... like would the added preasure....that i dont want....screw with oil flow throughout the motor..... like starving bearings etc.... maybe keep the rockers from getting oiled,etc

9. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Well the thing is, the PCV is a one way check valve, so pressure can get out of the engine, but it can't go back in the engine. So having it on a pressure port that receives boost would just pressurize the line, not the crankcase if your PCV is working correctly. If it's just open, then it would fill the crankcase with boost pressure and not only would it try to push oil past the rings and into the combustion chamber, but it would be reducing the amount of boost getting to the cylinders the way it's supposed to go. I would think anyway.

I would just find a line that is within 12" of the turbo intake and weld a bung in there (there's a bungholio joke in here somewhere) and plumb it in before the turbo. But definitely with a catch can which you can put anywhere. Hell, if you don't have ABS, put it where those solenoids used to be, or the AC Accumulator. As long as it is lower than the PCV and the inlet, it should work just fine.

10. NastyZ

Yup no ABS.... had to remove the A/C to fit tue turbo and downpipe in.

Thanks for the bungholio advice lmao.... you figute 12" . Sounds good....dirty but good lol.

So as far as negative oil stuff.... it'll force oil into combustion chamber .... blowing by the rings. Yup not good. I was thinking worse case scenario and bearings starving etc.... thanks for clearing it up a bit.

Catch can....lower than pcv location.... good to know.... didnt have any clear direction on that before.... so that's
    done now ( in my head lol)

Thanx for going through ot with me ....and bearing with my hard to understand points lol

11. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't think it will starve the engine for fuel, but there is something else to think about. Remember me saying it would be pushing boost into the crankcase? How much pressure do you think the oil pan can handle? Or the gasket? crank seals and so on. Definitely best to put it before the turbo.

12. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

I would run a dual line oil catch can, which is dual in and single out, and then run that to the port on the TB. The boost pressure is going to push into the intake and shouldn't be able to pressure up the line, and the way I see a lot of people run the system. It's just my opinion but the way I would run it.

13. NastyZ

Really eh. Back into the tb? Dual in ....single out. Both the crank case vent and pcv lines into the catch can. ..and one out to the tb. Boost preasure wont go back into the tb eh?

Ya tony that crankcase preasure was always my concern..... and it affecting the oiling of the engine. Not starving the engineof fuel.... but of oil.

So ... gots me a solution appreciate all of this input.... learned somthing and got my fix so to speak lol

14. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

I mean you could run it into the intake itself , and I would think your motor is going to take all it can and shouldn't back feed, but if you are really worried about it you can put a one way check valve in the line so it can't go that way.

15. NastyZ

Ya see i hear that i HAVE to use the one way check valve.... if plumbing back into the tb or intake .. if I wanted to go into the air intake( before turbo) the check valve aint needed. I only know the stuff i have read though..... havent been through it. So really appreciate the input.

But in both cases, either plumbing it back into the tb/intake, or i to the air i take before turbo ... i have heard using a seperator is a good idea.6

I was just curious though..... in my first post..... what are the negative affects to how haveing this currently hooked up wrong...

Will it really through off my boost/vacuum guage....
    I now know what the effects on lubricating the engine will be
    Any other negatives associated with driving it like that

Appreciating the input guys!

16. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

My thing is as Tony stated, I wouldn't plumb it before the turbo because the oil it is pulling will go through the turbo which I wouldn't think would be good. I wouldn't think it would effect your gauge what so ever, where do you have your line hooked up going to your gauge?

17. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Remember, I'm a noob with turbos and know nothing of what I spit out of my mouth on the subject lol. Above I was just spitballing with what "I" thought was right or sounded right. Don't take my words about turbos to the bank, they are likely to close your account.... :chuckles:

18. NastyZ

Okay wont affect guage..good to know. I have it it plumbed into the back part of the tpi.... pretty sure its in the plenum part of it.... so no buffeting air. I just figured that with the lines hooked up (lets call it currently incorrectly lol) , as they are now.... the added crankcase preasure.....would some how through off the boost guage.

Ya definitely want to add the catch can. .... even without the turbo....i seen alot of water come out of engines with them in place.... great idea for any application for sure.

Tony ....boosted engine or not. You know engine dynamics and, I really appreciate your input....keep it coming !

19. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

I know just enough to get me in trouble anyways lol.

NastyZ likes this.
  20. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

I truly believe in the catch cans and there is a knock off of the Mishimoto (which is what I run) on either Amazon or eBay for around 30 bucks. It's worth every penny :)

NastyZ likes this.