Guide to removing swirls.

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by Extinct, May 11, 2008.

1. Extinct Staff Alumni

Note: This guide is for entertainment purposes only. This is a guide that follows my steps in removing swirls in the paint from a hood. I am also combining some of the steps from the manufacturer's instructions as well as some of the steps I've learned from the great guys and gals at AutoGeek. Following these steps, you may experience similar results. However, you should use caution when ever you are using any products with abrasives in it. Using similar polishes and equipment can produce similar results. It is not an exact science (as many have said)...play around with different polishes and pads. With that being said, let's get to it.

I recently placed a large order with www.autogeek.net that included the supplies I would need to remove swirls from my paint. However, I was a bit nervous in starting on the Hawk having never used any of these supplies...but then it hit me. I had Laura's stock hood in a closet. Upon inspection, I realized that this would be the perfect oppurtunity to take on some swirls.

I began with the stock hood from a 98-02 Camaro. I washed the hood and dried it.
    [​IMG]#ad

I lined a piece of painter's tape down the middle to seperate the two sides of the hood.
    [​IMG]#ad

I then claybarred the side of the hood I was planning on working on.
    [​IMG]#ad

Clay bar following half of the hood. :yuck:
    [​IMG]#ad

I used the PorterCable 7424 with the Edge Buffing Pad kit.
    [​IMG]#ad

Before using each pad, I would lightly mist the pad with the XMT Pinnacle Pad Conditioner before applying any product.
    [​IMG]#ad

The products I used included the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, WG Final Glaze, and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. The first two of those were recently revamped with the help of Menzerna (a German company that produces some great stuff!!)
    [​IMG]#ad

I started off with an orange Edge pad. From what I understand, using this pad with a polish with mild abrasives is a great place to start if you are unsure how serious your swirls are.
    [​IMG]#ad

REMEMBER ALWAYS START WITH THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE METHOD FIRST. YOU CAN ALWAYS STEP UP INTENSITY OF THE PAD AND POLISH.

I applied a small amount (manual says quarter size) of the WG Total Swirl Remover on the Orange pad and spread it over a 2'x2' area on the hood, before turning on the buffer (to avoid slinging stuff all over).
    With the speed of the PC set at 5, I began to work the product over the area. I worked in a overlapping fashion in every direction (back and forth, up and down).
    [​IMG]#ad

I worked the product in an overlapping fashion for roughly two minutes until it turned into a transparent film.
    [​IMG]#ad

After turning the PC off, I removed the remaining product with a microfiber towel. After removing the product, here's what I saw....
    [​IMG]#ad

A lot of the surface swirls were gone....
    [​IMG]#ad

So on to the next step, the finishing glaze. The WG Finishing Glaze has finer abrasives to remove finer swirls and help restore the gloss. I used the blue Edge pad which is less aggressive than the orange pad. Same process as before: mist with the Pinnacle Pad Conditioner, quarter size amount of product on the pad, spread on the surface of the hood. I set the speed of the PC to 4 this time. Worked it in the same pattern, giving the product time to break down.
    [​IMG]#ad

Following application and removal of the WG Finishing Glaze, here's the result.
    [​IMG]#ad

Pretty happy for the first time playing with the PC.
    [​IMG]#ad

Now I know it's not perfect, but I was wanting to use this as a learning experience. So I decided to be happy with the results...and go ahead with applying the sealant. The WG Deep Gloss Paint Sealant is a polymer that acts like a "suit of chain mail" to help protect your paint. I used a white Edge pad with the PC to apply the WG DGPS. Same process: mist pad with conditioner, quarter size amount and set the speed to 3 on the PC. With applying a sealant, you don't need to allow the product to "break down" but still want an even application. Applied with the PC and removed product with a microfiber again.
    [​IMG]#ad

Hard to see a difference through the camera, but there were two different shades of black present. The one I had just "sealed" had a wonderful deep glow to it.
    [​IMG]#ad

Removed the tape to see the final results.
    [​IMG]#ad

I know it's not perfect...but I was amazed at the results. Walking and seeing side to side differences on the two opposing sides of the hood plastered a grin on my face.

Please feel free to ask any questions...but I am a beginner. So advanced questions, I might refer you to the pros....but we'll see.

See ya on the road,
    Matt:wavey:

Tags:
  2. Bowtiedad_Z28

Nice newbie job Matt. I will be doing it for the first time shortly myself. I to have a old Tahoe hood i am going to practice with first. The thought of going right to the car right from the start makes me to nervous. Nice idea with the tape also.

3. Extinct Staff Alumni

Yeah...that's why I went with Laura's old hood today. I also forgot to add, tape all exterior trim when doing this on the car.

See ya on the road,

4. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

Nice work my brother!!!! Send me a PM with all products and where to get them :) Better yet just bring your stuff and we can do it in Atlanta :nana:

5. SexyHawk

Matt what are you doing on Saturday??? Wanna come over and help me with Aurora? :nervous:

6. JonnySTS

Very nice! I saw identicle results on the STS doing what I did by hand. Cant wait to get a PC though.

7. Extinct Staff Alumni

If you're there Thursday, I'll get it done....that way I'll have at least two cars under my belt to feel confident in taking on another black car.

But if you want the info, I'll send it to ya....

See ya on the road,

8. Extinct Staff Alumni

I gotta figure it out....I gotta work Saturday. And was planning on getting Kristen's car done so that I could do mine right before leaving. But we'll see.....if we got time, I'd be more than happy to get some detailing done!!

See ya on the road,

9. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

Yeah if you dont mind sending it to me and yep I will be there thursday.

10. Extinct Staff Alumni

What products are you using??

See ya on the road,

11. WartHog Staff Alumni

Wow, that's a huge difference! I recently got a PC and played around on the hood of our Blazer (DD, 164K and black paint). Figured i wasn't going to make it any worse. I too realized amazing results. I'm gonna do a little buffing on Blue Thunder before we head to ATL. :)

12. Bowtie_Z28 Staff Alumni

Nice little writeup here Matt! The results are awesome!

13. Extinct Staff Alumni

I hope that results will get better with time and experience....but I felt pretty good about my first job.

See ya on the road,

14. BdNflnc

Not bad for a new guy!! :thumbsup:
    You'll get better at it.
    Do you have a Dual Action orbital sander? Otherwise known as a DA
    3M makes foam pad for those that COMPLETELY takes out ALL swirl marks because it is an orbital action, and not a rotation.
    Also, you can use 3M's Fine Cut rubbing compound, and Swirl Mark Remover.
    The rubbing compound contains no grit, and is a "chemical cut" compound, so you don't have to worry about it being too course, and the swirl mark remover is amazing. Plus they both come in 1 qt. bottles, so they will last you a very long time.

I can get you part numbers for that stuff if you are interested. I've passed it all on to Jim (Bowtiedad) also.

15. WartHog Staff Alumni

So, share the info Brother Man! please :)

16. Extinct Staff Alumni

Forgive me Landon, as I am a newbie to this.....but the DA orbital sander is the same as a DA orbital polisher right?? Because that's what i have....and sure, if you don't mind, send me on that info. Always willing to try out some product in the name of shine and no swirls.

See ya on the road,

17. BdNflnc

If the Porter Cable polisher you got is orbital, then you are ok - providing this pad I use will work on the backing pad for your polisher, but we can figure that out later. I'll have to go out to the garage and write down everything for ya, so it won't be tonight, but I'll try to get that to you tomorrow. And I hope you don't feel like I was stepping on your toes, that was an excellant write-up

And ya.... black is a "B" to keep looking nice.
    I've been known to be cleaning my car for a show, and start seeing things I don't like, and before long, I'm breaking out the sand paper, and re-buffing the entire front clip!
    I spent over 8 hours re-polishing the front clip on my car one time because I could still see little flaws in it, and at 2 in the morning the day before I left for the 12 hour drive to the show I just said screw it and went to bed. But when I pulled the car out of the trailer and into the building for the show, jaws it the floor with how amazing the paint was.

Dang, I was gonna post a pic of it at that show, but I can't find it... gonna keep looking.

18. Extinct Staff Alumni

Well I can always get a backing plate for it. The Edge kit I got has a quick connect/disconnect so there is no hook and loop backing plate.

Thanks Landon....I appreciate any criticism ya got as I am a newbie to this stuff. I have that hood to practice on...then I move to Krissy's Camaro and then to my Firehawk.

So I need all the help I can get....THANKS!!!

See ya on the road,

19. BdNflnc

NO PROBLEM!!! I'm always happy to help! :thumbsup: :wavey:

20. SexyHawk

So I'm reading this thread soaking all this up like a sponge...:respekt: Do you have to order a PC or can I pick one up at Auto Zone or something? The new Zaino swirl remover is designed to be applied by hand easily with the same results, but I can't shake the feeling that I'll get better results with a PC. :scratchch

Matt, if you want to bring Kristen's car over here after you get off work you're more than welcome. Though I can understand that it's kind of pain to haul all your stuff with you. Up to you guys :) I'll be starting with wheels and engine bay around 7:00 a.m. on Saturday and working my way through the rest of the car till...well...till it's done or my arms fall off :dizzy: After that the car is sitting in the garage with the cover on it till we leave for Atlanta. I car pool with a friend to work every day and that's her week to drive :clap: ;)