Got my hood decals in

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by Mark C., Jun 20, 2019.

1. Mark C.

Working on a 82 Z28. What do y'all use to prep the hood with to apply the decals? water and Dawn mix to wash it first. Then wipe the areas down with alcohol?
    To apply them. What do I use to slide them around into place? Again water and a few drops of Dawn?

My first decal application( except 1/25 scale models lol). Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
    Mark

Tags:
  2. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

I use Dawn only to clean. It will completely strip the car of any wax that was on the car. Then I just use a little windex to install them. It will take a while to dry. I would not use soapy water though for install. Some people do, but I'm not one of them.

I guess I'm the minority here. Don't listen to me...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  3. Mark C.

I was pretty sure about the dawn. I've stripped cars before to get all the old wax off. But wasn't sure at all about application. Windex sounds fime to me. Can you give me a ball park on drying time. Just curious.
    Thanks
    mark

4. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Oh, something like 12 hours is what I would give it. No direct sun during any of this. Under a car port or in a garage. Even under a tree will work, but definitely not any direct sun. I'm not sure where Ocala is, but if it is anywhere close to where I live, it will dry faster lmao. Well, humidity is a thing right now so maybe not lmao.

5. Mark C.

Sorry, Ocala, Florida. Yep hot and humid. Car is in my garage. I was just looking for a ball park number on drying time, that's all.
    Thank You
    Mark

Looking at your signature, I always said "If it breaks, build it to go faster!"

6. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Ah, yea it will more than likely dry a little faster, but even in 90º weather (and I know you guys are getting rain about every day lol), I would give it at least 6 hours before driving it.

7. IrocMyCamaroSS

8. Mark C.

Thanks. It was very informative. Exactly what I needed.
    Thank You
    Mark

9. NastyZ

Toss up a pic when your done might as well show it off.... i forget... you went with matt black right?

10. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

I've always used a good name brand dishwashing liquid, then rubbing alcohol after to get any unseen sap to prep for decals. Yeah, I know I'm a bit late with my answer, lol.

11. Mark C.

Not really. Haven't done them yet. Hot as heck here in Florida. I'll sweat all over this thing. Like 95* in my shop.
    Thank You
    Mark

12. Mark C.

I got my decals installed. Pretty straight forward.
    Used the instructions IrocCamaroSS posted. Worked great.
    Thanks to everyone who took time to answer me. all help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank You
    Mark C.

20190701_153325.jpg #ad
    20190701_162254.jpg #ad
    20190701_162822.jpg #ad
    20190701_164137.jpg #ad

20190701_153325.jpg #ad

20190701_162254.jpg #ad

20190701_162822.jpg #ad

20190701_164137.jpg #ad

13. IrocMyCamaroSS