For all you new LT1 owners

Discussion in 'Camaro Articles' started by Randy L, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Randy L Staff Alumni

I just recently bought my '97 Z and it just turned 70K miles. Now being new to the Z28 family AND muscle cars, I naturally have been having fun with my mid-life crisis toy. Needless to say, I will step on the gas quite often, though not to burn out or street race...just making WOT passes of slower cars on the freeway (speedo has never went past 90MPH yet), etc.
    I've learned the hard way that pushing the car WILL wear parts/components down quicker.
    Knowing that the Optispark is the achilles heel of the LT1, I recommend you find a good source to buy everything in advance so you DO have everything ready when the Opti DOES crap out.
    You now have the luxury of time to plan ahead. To get the most out of an Opti job, here's what many (myself included) recommend changing out at one time...since you're already there:
    -- Water pump; use Felco gaskets for a long lasting gasket seal. For the non-vented Opti's even a little leak will ruin it, so don't take the chance...replace with a NEW water pump so you know it will last for quite a while.
    -- The entire distributor. It's not JUST the cap & rotor that can go bad. If you have high mileage and the distributor hasn't been changed yet, it may be something to seriously consider. Since the whole NEW (not rebuilt) distributor comes with a new cap & rotor anyways, and isn't THAT much more expensive (Summit Racing seems to be a really good source, I just ordered a complete NEW distributor for just $289), it is a worthy investment. I wouldn't change the distributor EVERY time the cap & rotor is replaced though
    -- Seal and O-rings for the distributor and front of camshaft (where the dist mounts to). I've found that the seal can wear and cause oil to leak out. Also, there are 2 little rubber o-rings that should be replaced as well. Your Chevy dealer should have them and they are CHEAP ($9 for the seal & $.79 for the O-rings)
    -- Serpentine belt
    -- Spark Plug wires if they are original; you're there already so this is a great time to replace them with performance ones.
    -- Coil & Ignition module; though these don't typically go bad, if you are planning on upgrading, it's nice to have ready.
    -- Spark plugs IF you will be changing the wires
    -- Throttle Body Bypass (since the opti will be off, as well as the water pump, you might as well bypass that coolant line hooked to the TB). This will prevent any coolant from dripping onto the Opti if/when you ever do want to do it.

Planning ahead and having all the parts readily available do do all these pretty much makes the (eventually) needed service at the front of the engine a one-time shot. The whole process will take longer since there are so much to do, but you'll save time in the long run.

Hey folks, this is just MY OPINION...not factual data or manufacturer recommendations. Take it for what it's worth.

P.S. SInce the Opti's removed from the engine, it may be a good time to clean the engine with degreaser!

Tags:
  2. CipsZ28

Wow, that should be made a sticky. Good info here.

3. ZZTopless

Very good info there, Randy. Thanks! :)

4. Unknown

Yep, this should help a lot of people.

5. CipsZ28

6. Black Ice

Wow it almost sound like to F-body commandments. Words to live by!!!!

7. Christopher

[/QUOTE]-- Throttle Body Bypass (since the opti will be off, as well as the water pump, you might as well bypass that coolant line hooked to the TB). This will prevent any coolant from dripping onto the Opti if/when you ever do want to do it.

8. ZZTopless

The Throttle body runs a coolant line through it to keep the housing warm so that the mechanism doesn't freeze up in cold weather. This in turn warms the incoming air which robs you of horsepower. Cooler air is better. So bypassing this coolant line keeps the TB cooler which = more power. If you don't drive the car in cold weather, than you should never have a problem. There are even members on this site that DO drive them in cold weather with the TB bypass and have yet to experience any problems. And, hey, welcome to the site!! :wavey:

9. spiekedo

These cars make wonderful mid-life crisis toys don't they?
    Hafta grow old, don't hafta grow up! :D

10. Randy L Staff Alumni

Yea, it's quickly becoming a money pit! LOL Still it's a blast when everything's working great...definately my mid-life crisis toy. hehehehe

11. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

I went ahead and made this a sticky :)

12. CipsZ28

Maybe it should be put in the Articles section as well.

13. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

He can submit it there if he wishes.

14. rbrosilow

I'm not the only one, I turn 40 in June and have to say that i love this mid-life crisis.
    I have all these plans for my 95 Z that i think my wife thinks i am going out on her.:)

15. BomberZ

Sealing the opti w/clear silcon will help keep it from getting water in it..

16. QCK_95_Z28

what is an opti spark?

I know this is a stupid question, but what is an opti spark? is that the distributor.

Also i know this isnt the correct place to place this thread, but does any one know what i would have to do to put 315's wide tires on the rear? i heard you had to have spacers or something? cause i was told that it will bend the inside of the wheel when you drop it to the ground.

17. Randy L Staff Alumni

Yes, the Opti-spark is the stupid distributor that's mounted to the front end of the crankshaft...right behind the main pulley and water pump! Whoever thought this design up should have been shot!

18. MIKE96LT1

315 will fit without spacers you may have to modify you bumpstops to get them to fit. The backspacing on a 17in rim should be 56mm, also you may run into problems if you decided to lower your car with 315 on the back.

19. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

I wouldnt put 315s on a 9 inch rim. If you go with the bigger rims like 11" you will need the 50 mm offset for them to sit right.

20. QCK_95_Z28

Thanks for all of your help! Cause i want to put a 11 in zr1 wheels in the back w/ 315

Thanks

Tags: