February 2014 Car of The Month

Discussion in 'Car of the Month' started by Z28/Ken, Feb 4, 2014.

By Z28/Ken on Feb 4, 2014 at 2:47 PM
  1. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

I am pleased to announce user Popo8 has won February 2014's Car of the Month!

1996 Camaro Z28
    aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_19_aqeneted.jpg

Engine info:
    1996 Camaro Z28: 385ci, forged internals, p1sc/intercooled (11.x lbs) AFR eliminator 227s, TD shaft mount rockers, Edelbrock LT4 Air Gap intake, AS&M monoblade TB, AC

EFI system:
    Stock minus the items below

Induction and fuel system:
    60# Motron injectors, Hypertech boost ref fpr,Lonnies dual 255s in tank

Ignition and exhaust:
    Delco OPTI from AMERICAN Powerhouse, MSD 6al and blaster coil. Long tube pace setter headers into custom made ypipe, into 3" exhaust into stock style Magnaflow single inlet dual outlet, dumped behind rear tires.

transmission and rear: Fully Built T-56, minus viper shaft. 9" with locker/3.90s, 35 spline axels,.

Suspension:
    Eibach pro kit 2" lowering springs. KYB AGX 8 way adjustable shocks up front. In the rear, stock struts, with drag bags for leveling purposes.

Body:
    LS style SS rear spoiler, Firberglass 2.5" cowl hood with paint scheme to include part of the nose.

Future plans:
    I am very satisfied at this time with the power and driveability of the car. In the future, if I want more power I will upgrade to a larger blower, and I would also like to put a 6pt cage in.

Back info about the build:
    Before I became a Police Officer, I had a 1992 Bird. It was my pride and joy. I sold it while I was in the academy (2000) to avoid getting into trouble). I was hired with my current Dept in 2001, and shortly after I needed a replacement. I knew I wanted an LT1 transmission Am, but one day on patrol, I found this beautiful LT1 camaro with something I had never seen before...CHROME SALAD SHOOTERS. I was in love, I made contact, and 4g and a week later it was mine. I drove it as it was for about two years till I came across a great deal on a boosted 93 camaro that was having opti issues.

That car became the donor for the blower/intercooler set up that now motivates my engine. I found a builder on line, and ordered a complete 383 stroker LT1. It arrived and looked fantastic... Ordered forged internals, ported an polished heads...the works. Next month or so, we installed it, and tuned it... and it ran great. About 5k miles later I was leaving work at 3am, and I heard a weird noise... there was a vibration in the car the whole way home...

The following weekend, we pulled the pan and found that the crank had broken, it broke in a way it was able to continue pushing itself around, however alot of metal went through the motor. Sooooo, we pulled it and tore it down... the forged crank...was an eagle cast crank.... the ported an polished heads, were completley untouched... and when I took the block to the machine shop, I was told that every slug hole was out of round. That means I was ripped off... even the POPO gets scammed, and my reach even with the people I know was not long enough. There is an actual arrest warrant for the individual out of PA now through the DAs office, however since he lives in IL, there is no extradition. But if he gets caught in PA... he will be locked up.

Anyways... another 10 over, new FORGED rotating assembly and we were off and running. 2 years later on the dyno, while trying to tune it, I broke a valve spring..not sure if a valve had made contact with a piston, i came across a great deal for some AFR 227 Eliminator heads, an LT4 intake, a LE custom cam, TD shaft mounted rockers, AS&M tb, and a few other upgrades... Well now she was all together and a tuning nightmare. I contacted Bryan Herter of PCM4less and spoke with him about tuning the car. He suggested a shop in NJ that he had worked closely with before. SO I dropped it off. They worked out a pressure relief issue, by replacing the crappy BOV with a 50mm MONDO... the OBD2 computer was ditched for an OBD1 conversion for ease of tuning, and here we are.... 602 horsies, and I love it!

No track time since the build, it made a few passes as a stock car when I first got it... not pretty

Dyno Numbers:
    If it's been on the dyno, it's max HP and torque:RWHP 602 / TQ 540

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_28_2y2y9edy.jpg aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_19_aguzyvat.jpg aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_19_8y4ybynu.jpg aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_28_duvyqene.jpg

Tags:

Comments

Discussion in 'Car of the Month' started by Z28/Ken, Feb 4, 2014.