e brake won't release

Discussion in 'All Non F-body Tech' started by 4thand26, Oct 30, 2015.

1. 4thand26

Just did a brake job on my 2001 GMC sierra, pads only, and my ebrake will not release. Any ideas?

Tags:
  2. 4thand26

ok, so it might not be ebrake. It seems to be functioning correctly. The brakes were dragging a little but after I drove it about 4 miles, it seems a bit looser.

3. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

Only thing I can think of right off hand that might cause dragging is if pressure isn't bleeding back after releasing the brake pedal, like maybe a twisted brake line but I doubt it, lol. Sometimes though new pads are pretty darned tight at first getting them in place!

4. 4thand26

Thanks. I think that might be it. After the second test drive it felt quite a bit looser.

5. 4thand26

Thanks. I think that might be it. After the second test drive it felt quite a bit looser.

6. 4thand26

Ken, or someone, please make me smart! So the caliper is intermittently sticking, which jives with how badly worn that one side was on the old pads.

7. 4thand26

Never mind, changed out brake caliper, that was the issue, 50 bucks at autozone and the brakes are like new.

8. Red Pencil

Sometimes a bur on the caliper piston can cause it to stick and not want to go back after you push the brake.

9. 4thand26

These are almost 15 years old and the truck has never seen a garage, though I do keep it covered. Once I saw how smoothly the new one operated, I was quite pleased I changed it. I might even do the other side. Thanks.

10. 4thand26

Test drove to work. Feels pretty good. Going to change the other caliper anyway. It is almost 15 years old and isn't going anywhere