Drag strip, prepare

Discussion in 'Camaro Articles' started by antf42080, Jun 21, 2008.

1. antf42080

hey guys im heading to the drag strip on friday, just wanted to know whats the best way to prepare my car, to make sure nothing goes wrong. All i did so far was change the oil, oil filter, and coolant and hoses. The battery and alternator are new and the plugs and wires are also.(cluthc and tires are new too) The car is running good but was wondering if theres anything else i can do to help.

Tags:
  2. Greg Norris

take out everything that isnt bolted to the car to decrease the weight of the vehicle. you could throw in a gallon or two of 103+ octane race fuel, but it wont do you much good if you havent been to the track much. speaking of that, is this your first time to the track?

3. antf42080

re:

yea first time

4. Madmike96

What are u racing, a manual or auto

5. antf42080

6. Madmike96

what rpm are u gonna drop the clutch at

7. antf42080

not sure, probably at 2 or 3 grand i guess

8. Madmike96

do u have a lt1 or ls1

9. antf42080

10. Madmike96

What mods do u have and what do u hope to run

11. Typical-SS

dropping the clutch on street tires will just fry the tires off the line and you'll end up with horrible 60ft times. Try slipping it of the line.

12. MeanGreen94Z

slip the clutch out 30 ft, then let it out and mat it. i know im late in responding... but thats how i got the best time on street tires (8.30 2.25 60')

13. Dave632

This is true, trying to dump the clutch with street tires will get you nowhere quickly.

You ran 8.30 with a 2.25 60'! What was your MPH?

14. MeanGreen94Z

89 it wasnt really spinning, mainly just clutch slip then bog then it would move on...and yes street tires bogged it :) my suspension was setup pretty decent

15. Dave632

With that MPH and the proper launch you should be in the high 7s.
    I had a Nova a while back that was running 88 MPH in the 1/8th and it hit a best of 7.89 with a 1.83 60'.
    It had a 4.56 gear w 10" slicks and a very mild 2500 converter, it could have used more stall.

16. MeanGreen94Z

its been 7's on motor before with a auto, i expect if i can get it to leav right it can do the same or a little better if i can speed shift it ok...but if i granny shift lol that will be done. plus i have 3.73's so one slip of the foot wrong an it bogs BAD

17. 95z28onjuice

i avarage a 1.9x 60 foot time with my a4 and 2500 stall w 3.73 with street tires my mile an hour is 78 79. my time is 8.73 best on motor. does this sound correct or do i have a problem?

18. Forgiven

A couple more points newbies need to know. The pre-staged is just to let you know you are close. Wait until the person in the other lane has his light on as well before proceeding. Now both of you can move forward to break the timing beams and turn on the staged light. As the lights come down be ready to go on the last amber...do not wait for the green to come on, it will kill your reaction time. One more thing, you could wait several seconds after the green and your elapsed time will not be affected....the timer only starts after the beam is connected by the movement of your front tires. Have fun.
    Drag basics..JPG #ad

19. egott_91

That's really good advice on the tree. Good visual too!:thumbsup:

20. Dave632

Sounds about right. My best when stock, just shorty headers, with a 95z
    was 9.08 @ 80mph 1/8th mile. This was with MT radials too.
    Your converter is helping you in the 60' department even though it is mild.
    Even after mods and no converter change the 60' changed little, best of 2.0s.
    The ET and mph picked up but the 60' stayed the same.