Double din

Discussion in 'Mobile Electronics' started by FANTA-Z, Nov 19, 2019.

1. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

Double din in my 94. Not perfect but better than factory or the single and 1.5 din radios lol.

20161019_175338.jpg #ad

20161019_175338.jpg #ad

Tags:
    iSpeedAtNight likes this.
  2. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Yea, it's not easy to get a perfectly clean look with a double din head unit. Great job on that!

FANTA-Z likes this.
  3. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

Thanks brother, and it's just a cheap Android radio but gets the job done. KyWes did one as well and his looks better than mine and a lot cheaper too. He got his piece off of Amazon for a third of what I paid lol.

4. NastyZ

So double din means twice the size of the old style ones?

Looks good to me ,right on!

FANTA-Z likes this.
  5. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Found this out today... a "din" is 180 x 50 mm, a "double din" is 180 x 100 mm. The more you know lol.

iSpeedAtNight and NastyZ like this.
  6. mullettcar

good job looks sweet keep your eyes on the road lol

FANTA-Z likes this.
  7. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

Don't watch anything on it, just use it for the Bluetooth, and USB functions.

8. NastyZ

Now we gotta find out what din stands for lol.... ya i had no clue what it was before today

9. mullettcar

did it come with the dash cover or did you get that separate

10. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Din stands for, you ready for it? "Duetch Industri Normen" lol

11. NastyZ

Achdelebre de shvientz lmao

Well din it is haha

12. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Yea, I ain't gonna try to pronounce any of that lol.

NastyZ likes this.
  13. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

No that was the piece that was so expensive lol. When I did it I couldn't find anyone else that made it so I paid 200 bucks for it. KyWes posted about his not too long ago and sent me a link from the one he got on Amazon for something like 35 bucks and his looks better in my opinion

14. ss6532

Looks great, just got my bezel for my 1996 Camaro, anyone know how much to cut ? Or just anyone that has done it on a 96’, any tips?

15. KYWes

Finally got around to taking some pictures of my Double Din installation.

By looking at this you can compare to your original to see what to cut out for the installation. Basically you cut out the bottom part of the cowl opening. A Dremel type tool works very well. The light colored mess on the right side is where my dash got damaged from some jack leg trying to steal my head unit. That's epoxy I added in to repair the broken dash assy.
    cut dash opening.jpg #ad

The Metra double din installation kit comes with a new unit surround. Below is a pic of my install with the bezel in place. I got my installation kit when I ordered my unit from Crutchfield but the kit is also available on Amazon. Of course the rest of the shifter console goes underneath. I have it all out now because I had pulled the engine but I'll be putting it back in later.

I love having a Double Din head unit. This unit by Boss has GPS navigation and front mounted slots behind a small door on the lower left, that accept a micro SD card and a USB port. The SD card (max 32gb) holds a ton of songs that I copied from my computer to the card. Another thing I like about the Boss unit is that it has a clock that shows when the unit is off.

Double din unit with bezel on.jpg #ad

I'm able to watch DVDs on this unit or rather my passenger is. (smh) I also have it connected to a rear view camera and a forward view camera. I put a camera switch in the glove compartment then the output goes to a converter that saves any video to a micro SD card. I can then record driving down the road. Not terribly useful but I hope to drive the road course at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY this Spring and record the action.

BTW, I have a great Pioneer din and one-half with the wiring hookup for our F-bodies for sale if anyone is interested including the manual, remote and an original bezel. I also have a single din unit with a motorized screen that comes out that also works. I'll try to get pictures and a posting in the classified section soon. PM me if interested.

NastyZ and FANTA-Z like this.
  16. WheelyFast

I still have the stock Bose radio, but added a FM bluetooth via power outlet. $20. Big hit with the girls in the family! I want to know if anyone has used the CD cassette storage area to put a backup camera screen etc? Or, are there any rearview mirrows screens that would still have the cockpit lights like the original mirrors? Or any other suggestions for backup screens besides replacing radio.
    Thanks

17. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Didn't put a monitor down there, but I did put gauges and switches down there. I would think that would be too low for a TFT panel, it would be beyond the viewing angle. I would opt for a double din radio with an input for a camera over putting one down there.

KYWes likes this.
  18. WheelyFast

Yeah, I think youre right. Thanks

KYWes likes this.
  19. iSpeedAtNight

I'm interested to hear how you wired in the front & rear facing cameras, where you got them from, cost, how well you like them, etc

20. KYWes

I'll try to get you some pictures. My head unit is a Boss BLC965 or 965BLC double din head unit which is no longer made but they have other head units with identical hookups like the 765BLC that I have in my HHR. My head unit came with a camera and the wires. It has AM/FM, and a DVD that can play CDs or DVDs on the screen. It also has Bluetooth, a SD card slot and a USB slot in the front faceplate of the unit. It also has the Reverse camera input connector, an auxiliary video/audio input connection, and video/audio output connections. The later is so you can output playing a DVD to monitors say on the back of the seat for the kiddos. You can buy camera kits almost anywhere on the net. My unit also has GPS navigation built in but I don't use it. Google Maps or WAZE is much more convenient and better.

To mount the camera, I drilled a hole through the body panel in the trunk to just behind the license place. The camera I use has a molded piece near the camera end of the wire so the hole had to be 1/2", I think, for that section to fit through. My camera is one that uses the license plate mounting screws. I modded my car so I could put screws at the bottom of the license plate and I mounted the plate on the bottom. Mounting the camera at the top may work for you. For me it covered an important part of the license plate. That hooks up the video. Then you have to connect power. The negative of the camera cable goes to the body for ground. The red/hot lead connects to the reverse back up bulb power supply wire. This way the camera gets power when the car is put into reverse. I then ran the camera cable over to the spare tire and behind the rear speaker panel, then under the plastic door plate on the passenger side, behind the passenger kick panel , and then under the carpet to the area under the head unit. That completed that cable. You'll need to go by your head unit's wiring diagram for the rest. I enjoy having the backup camera. My '95 Camaro Convertible does not have a good sightline behind me so the camera really helps.

I mounted the front camera underneath the recessed part of the front bumper right under the point of the front bumper. I believe it had double sided tape provided but I used to small screws to affix the camera to the bumper. The camera cable (provided with the camera) then runs through the bumper cavity, over towards the battery, up along the fender with other wiring then down behind the PCM. There is a wire grommet behind the PCM. I ran the wire through that grommet and then snaked it under the carpet over to the head unit area. My head unit has an auxiliary video/audio connection so I just had to plug it into that video connector and select the Aux Input on my head unit and then I can see forward looking from the front point of the bumper mentioned above. However, on my head unit when I select the Aux Camera it kills any other media I'm listening to. That got me video but I didn't like it stopping other media from playing. Also I wanted to record from the forward mounted camera. I found a product at B&H Photo and Video online that will take a composite video signal and store it to an SD card in AVI format. I hooked all that up in my glove compartment.

The front camera is mostly a novelty but it is fun to watch the drive from that perspective. My main purpose, however, it to record my track runs mainly motorsport/rally driving. I'm just getting started doing that and that is the main way I will use the front camera e.g. to record my road race drives. When I get back home I remove the SD card, plug it into my computer, and then I can watch the video and or create a DVD, and so forth.

I like Crutchfield in researching head units and for their tech support. They sell a double din kit to convert the 93-2000 F-body from a 1.5 din to double din. That bezel kit can be found on Amazon for a lower price. Like I said I'll try to get some picture and the proper name for the Video to SD adapter.

Ask away any questions.