Direct injection..... how important cleanin is,etc

Discussion in 'All Non F-body Tech' started by NastyZ, Jan 30, 2020.

1. NastyZ

Hay all, the old man has a 2012 focus with a direct injected 4 banger. Now recently I have heard these systems are really susceptible to carboning up those injectors. ...and i assume they ae really expensive to replace like diesel injectors.

.. so is the specific cleaners to add to the fuel for these direct injected engines. Or will any fuel cleaner do the job. He just bought a big jug of the Lucas injector cleaner

Tags:
  2. mullettcar

its not the injector that are the problem its the valves get carbon on them newer ones have a fix they made it so the injector sprays the fuel right at the valve in the hopes the carbon doesnt stick to the valves.
    i like lucas products and i would say it is just as good as any injector cleaner.
    the only diff is the direct injection injects fuel in the cylinder instead of in the intake.
    so pretty much still a normal injector.
    i read bmw takes the valves out and walnut blasts them to clean them but are working on a fix as well.

3. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

If you stick with Top Tier (PEA additive) gas you shouldn't have deposit issues, that's what Ford recommends. And Techron, it's the only injector cleaner recommended by many car manufacturers.
    Audi
    BMW
    GM
    FCA
    Ford
    Honda
    Toyota
    Mercedes-Benz
    Navistar
    VW
    Detroit Diesel
    .... recommend it.

If you use an additive, use Techron. Guess what it is? Polyetheramine, also known as PEA.

I don't know of any auto manufacturer who recommends Lucus. It was just something thrown together with off the shelf petroleum solvents and oils. For the most part, it's light machine oil. Great for dissolving paraffin build-up in worn motors, but not a valve or injector cleaner. A few people have sent it into oil analysis companies, there's nothing special about it except their marketing.

The inventor wasn't even a chemist, much less a petroleum chemist. He was a truck driver. Nothing wrong with being a truck driver, but taking a pick between a truck driver "inventing" a product or a petroleum company spending millions to develop Techron... I'll take the Techron. If I need something hauled, I'll take the expert in that, the truck driver.

Also, don't use any cleaner for "induction cleaning" (like Seafoam). Ford has specifically said these can damage the engine.

4. NastyZ

Hay i really appreciate the heads up on this. I am glad I asked. Now i am wondering if these " injector cleaners" list PEA as an ingrediant. I am pretty sure aking a gas attendant.... wont get me anywhere...

Geese I had a fealing it was wise to ask about proper maintenance on these direct injected engines.