Detailing engine

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by PopsCar, Jan 15, 2016.

1. PopsCar

Hey what do you guys use to detail under the hood? I want to perk up the look but don't need something that's gonna stink and smoke when the engine get hot, lol, so give me your tips.

Tags:
  2. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Engine degreaser from the parts store is what I use. That and a pressure washer. Just make sure to rinse the engine and anything else the degreaser touches. and the bad part, it may take off paint. For painted areas if you want to play it safe, just use soap and water. There is a lot more work involved since you have to scrub, but it will not kill the paint. And stay away from the opti. But that goes without saying.

3. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

Once you've cleaned it with degreaser give Turtle Wax ICE a try. You have to get the right kind.... not the paste, detailing mist, wax spray, etc. You want the thick clear Ice synthetic liquid wax. It is the only thing I have found that works on every surface I've tried. Paint, rubber hoses, plastic trim, valve covers, plug wires, chrome, you name it... it works.

Its supposed to be an all surface detailer's liquid and I can vouch for it! No white or chalky residue either. I don't use it on paint though... not that it doesn't work on body paid, but rather when it comes to body paint prefer a wax made specifically for it. The reason I like ICE under the hood is because there are so many different types of materials and surfaces under the hood and I can use one product for them all.

4. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

I will have to try that out when I get my car back in running shape again. Been selling parts off of the poor thing just to pay some bills... Sounds like a good product.

5. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

Yeah, many years ago with another web site Turtle wax sent me this huge box of all their ICE products. I thought it was going to be infomercial gimmicky type of stuff... but the products actually work. Little pricey but it doesn't take much at all. Engine degreaser is great stuff under the hood too and leaves a nice shine :) I haven't found any product that won't smoke just little though when it gets really hot under the hood so I'll warm it up and let the engine bake off anything before taking it out for spin.

Hate that you're having to sell stuff!

6. mjc

just a little Dupli color and a thorough cleaning. engine bay.jpeg #ad