Curbside Classic: 1970 Camaro "gm's Greatest Hit #1" Even Pininfarina Praised It

Discussion in 'Camaro Articles' started by mloaks, Sep 30, 2011.

1. mloaks

Curbside Classic: 1970 Camaro – GM's Greatest Hit #1 – Even Pininfarina Praised It
    '...to hear that, after trying to make aesthetic sense of the new Camaro. Which was going nowhere, until it hit me: the 2010 Camaro is the Pamela Anderson of automobiles: exaggerated proportions, desperately trying to evoke a (long distant) youthful past, cartoonish, crude, clumsy, and just plain stupid—Borat would love it (“you like?!â€), although he would have a hell of a time trying to stuff over-stuffed Pamela into its tiny trunk.
    The fact that Chevy picked the '69 Camaro for its “inspiration†tells it all, because the gen-1 Camaro was a rushed, half-baked stylistic lightweight (Update: that applies more to the '67 & '68s). Yes, it was cheerful and youthfully innocent, kind of like the high-school Pamela. But it was hopelessly outclassed by the timelessly elegant, handsome, mature and universally praised 1970 version. Perhaps we should thank GM for leaving well enough alone, although I have a sinking feeling that if the Camaro revival doesn't peter out quickly, its successor may well be a horrible pastiche of this 1970 Rally Sport....'

Tags:
  2. richard96

Nice read, my favorite generation by far. Especially the 70-71 models.

3. Wild Willy

I forgot how good the old split-bumper Camaros looked. Thanks for the walk down memory lane. My dad, a car enthusiast and staunch GM guy, bought a '64 1/2 Mustang when they came out, and then a '76 Camaro LT, when GM finally caught up. Pretty cars, back in the day with some real stout driveline options.

4. mloaks

when the 2nd gen arrived, as a high schooler i lamented the old squared-off look, and they were too big. in hindsite, what a design!

5. Forgiven

I somewhat agree. GM missed it and had lots of time to work on the latest model. I can't figure out why they made gas can sized mufflers that most people want to remove anyway, thus no room in that puny trunk.....trunk what trunk? I like the Challenger the best of the new retro cars. It looks great like the first one and it has a trunk you can use. I still like the nose of the 93-97 camaros....now it is like a barn door again. It is what it is and after driving one, I must say it drives very nicely...looks are not everything I guess.

6. mloaks

indeed. only thing 'real' that would keep me outta a 5th gen if the funds were there is the outward view or lack of. Id take the 6 banger Mustang...

7. mloaks