cowl code numbers

Discussion in 'Camaro History' started by combineman, Sep 21, 2017.

1. combineman

What does K444 mean on cowl tag on 69 camaro

Tags:
  2. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Did some searching and could not find K444 anywhere on gm vehicles. I say that because there are some fords that have it lol. Can you post a picture of the tag?

3. combineman

this is the tag

IMG_2076 (2).JPG #ad

4. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Very interesting. I can't find anything other than paint codes that start with "K" and I can find nothing with "444". Hoping some of the first gen guys come in here with some ideas.

5. BULLITT65

For L.A. cars that was in factory production code, nothing more. It will roughly correspond to your third week of April build date.

6. Pete R

The problem here is that this is a Norwood vehicle and you can see the date code on the left of the tag (04C) so the car was built in the 3rd week of April. The K444 is supposedly a body related option code - perhaps for spoilers or trim options. This is most noteably where the famous X codes were.

7. Pete R

I've researched some more and body option codes were typically 3 characters (X11,X22,X33,X44,X55,X66,X77,Z11,Z12,D80). X11 is an RS or SS/RS. I see from your profile pic, your car appears to be an SS/RS. Which engine option did it come with?

8. BULLITT65

Pete if you are still referring to Combineman's pic of that 04C tag, that is NOT a Norwood trim tag. The VN stands for Van Nuys California. The tags switched from saying LOS to VN around December, but are still referred to as L.A. produced cars. So again the K444 applies to the date it was produced. AS soon as the CRG site is up and going again I will post a link that details what I am talking about.
    * Also the L. A. plant (located in Van Nuys) never used X codes, this was only done at the Norwood plant. Hope this helps

9. combineman

Thanks

10. Pete R

My apologies - I've been collecting tag images for some time (mostly 68s as that's the model year of my Camaro) and that is the first VN I've ever seen. Every one before I've seen said LOS. I was aware that the X codes were only used at Norwood. Sorry for any confusion I created....