1994 Z-28 Missfire?

Discussion in '4th Gen Camaro LT1 (1993-1997 Camaro)' started by Hillbilly T, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Hillbilly T

I have a 1994 Z28 (1LE Package) that I ordered from Chevy in 1994. I have driven this car for 25 years and about 125,000 miles - almost 100% bone stock. Best car I have ever owned! The car has been absolutely perfect until recently. I had to replace the Opti-Spark ignition a few years ago when it totally failed. I have not been able to get the car right ever since. The first replacement was an OEM Opti-Spark that lasted for less than 1,500 miles and failed. I replaced it with a GM replacement Opti-Spark that lasted for less than 1,000 miles and failed. I replaced that with an MSD Opti-Spark recently and put the car back on the road. It runs like a champ from cold start to about 120 to 130 degrees, then the motor idles rough and runs like junk. When you try to accelerate the motor stumbles and staggers and it takes forever to get up to speed. It runs slightly better at higher rpm, but at 1,000 to 2,500 rpm it is total crap. We have since replaced the air intake hose to the throttle body, installed new fuel injectors, new spark plugs, and checked for evap and vacuum leaks - repairing all leaks that we could find. We checked the Mass Air Flow Sensor and it is good. There are no check engine lights or computer codes showing. Still no improvement. The mechanic wants to go back and look at the ignition system again to see if it is bad. I am really tired of the problem and just want my Z28 back. Does anybody have any suggestions or a diagnosis?

Thanks....

Tags:
  2. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Welcome to the MSD opti. I have one as well, it has been in the bottom tray of my tool cart for about 10 years now... I got less than 5000 miles out of it before it crapped out. I'm betting it's the opti. The good thing is (if you can call it that), you can call MSD and order just the sensor for about $100. Better than buying a new opti. If I have to get a new opti, this is what I"m going to do just to put my $500 paper weight to use rather than letting it sit, but my autozone LLT opti is holding strong lol. Go figure.

But yea, opti, that is what my bet is. I would also have the ICM and coil checked just in case, but not holding my breath on that one.

3. Hillbilly T

Thanks, Tony. We replaced the coil and the ICM checks out OK. I guess we go back and look at the MSD unit again.
    This is frustrating. I absolutely love driving this car, just can't get it back to 100%.

4. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

They are definitely at that age of being quite hard to keep purring. Something you can try is to unplug your MAF and see if it keeps running smoothly. If it does, then you know it is just a sensor and not the opti. Unplugging the MAF will force it to stay in open loop otherwise known as Speed Density, except for it runs pig rich and is pretty much "limp mode". Try doing that and let us know how it goes.

5. Hillbilly T

Thanks so much, Tony. I will give that a try and get back with you. The two most confusing parts to me is that it runs great when the motor is cool. After it reaches 120 and up, it runs like crap. It seems to me that if the Opti-Spark was bad, it would not run right at any temperature. The second confusion is that as bad as the car runs at temperature, I don't get a check engine light.

6. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

I can't remember the exact water temp value which these cars go into closed loop, but it is around that temp if I remember right. So that is kind of pointing me to a sensor issue more than anything. But, it could be a heat soak thing on the opti causing issues.

As for no SES, I have seen that before. Running like crap with no light even though you think it should be giving a misfire code or something lol. Those are the "Ultra Fun To Find" issues lmao. No hints, just start playing with stuff.

7. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

I know it's been a little while and I am getting older lol, but haven't a few people had this sort of issue and it had to do with the temp sensor in the water pump being faulty causing issues with the computer from wrong readings?

8. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

No worries, I suffer from CRS as well. It's one of the cheapest items to check, that's for sure. And easy to replace if your fast lol.

9. Shoebox

The bad opti codes don't turn on the check engine light, so a scan should be done as normal procedure. MSD optis have had continuing problems.

10. 4thand26

i have, worst 26 dollar problem i've ever had!

11. Hillbilly T

Thanks much! I checked with the mechanic and he said that he checked both sensors and they were good. I guess we go back to the MSD Opti-Spark and check it.

12. Hillbilly T

Thanks. Can anyone suggest the best option for the Opti-Spark. I have tried an OEM (non-AC Delco), and AC Delco, and the MSD. So far none have worked well.

13. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

It's a crap shoot anymore to get a good one. I went through 10 of them before finding one that actually stayed working...

14. Hillbilly T

Does anyone have experience with the ACCEL unit? I found two versions of their Opti-Spark - a replacement for Opti-Spark I (1993-1994 LT1) and a replacement for Opti-Spark II (1994-1997 LT1/LT4). Not sure which one I would need - my car is the 1994 LT1. There is only $10 difference in these two units.

Thanks.

15. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

One is vented and one is not. One has a spline drive and the other has the large cam pin drive. You need to find out what one your car has before ordering, they are not interchangeable.

16. Hillbilly T

Thanks!

17. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

You should have the spline opti being as yours is a 94. Also, lining up that spline is not the easiest in the world, so be prepared to get a little agitated lol.

18. Hillbilly T

Thanks. I have found Opti-Spark replacements made by AC Delco, MSD, and ACCEL. Some vented, some not. Does it seem to make any difference which brand is used or if the vented or non-vented is used?

19. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

I thought late 94 had the newer style? Or did they just do a vented option with the spline? Or none of the above? Yea, I'm slippin' lmao.

20. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

95 was the first year for vented, but I think they make hybrids now since they are all basically aftermarket parts now a days lol. You will need to find a splined unit and if it's vented, well that's just a plus lol. As for the Access, back in the day they were not very reliable, but may be better now, but I doubt it lol.