Clogged injectors?

Discussion in '4th Gen Camaro LT1 (1993-1997 Camaro)' started by Z28head, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Z28head

I have been screwing with this no start bs on my 97 Z28 and am still screwed. The engine turns over but will not fire. Here's what's been done and checked:

New fuel pump- old one was bad,verified its running and 40-50 psi at the schrader.

New spark plugs- the old ones were toast

New opti- Verified spark and pulse

Checked coil and icm they are OK

Removed the dr side valve cover to verify valve actuation-there is valvetrain movment

VATS-There is fuel pressure at the schrader, there is 12v and pulse to the injectors, and the security light comes on check and then turns off.

When I changed the plugs they were dry, even after several attempts to start the car

I had the fuel rails loose to remove an injector and there was gas running out.

I also put power to the injectors and they click, if they are clogged though will they still actuate?

Tags:
  2. Badazz 97 T/A

Does it even attempt to start? or is it just the sound of the starter turning the motor?

The dry plugs even after trying to start it kinda raised a red flag for me. Pull the fuel rail up again with all the injectors still attached to the top, have someone turn over the motor while you hold the fuel rail and see if they spray. WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES!

3. Z28head

Just the sound of the starter turning the engine I sprayed starting fluid and there is some slight backfiring

I'll try and verify the spray with the rail pulled

4. LikeaRockZ28

I'd double check that icm ! Mine did this and it was the icm. Also double check all your ground's and wiring. Make sure everything is wired up right. Good luck !

5. LikeaRockZ28

Also check the opti plug. Mine got really corroded, had to replace it. Take your time and double check all your electrical connections make sure that they are clean and connected good and tight.

6. Z28head

Thanks for the ideas guys. I pulled the fuel rails up and the injectors are spraying. I had AutoZone check the icm, they ran the test 5 times and I have checked wiring and grounds.

I broke down and took it to the dealer. They will do a complete diagnostic for 79.95.
    I'll keep ya posted on whats wrong.

7. richard96

Not bad for a diagnostic. Then you can fix it yourself if they are telling the truth.

8. Z28head

Ok guys. I got a response from the dealer. First off they are saying that the fuel pump is providing enough pressure 53 psi but not enough volume. They are saying that it goes to 18 psi when the injectors are picking. I have a brand new walbro 255lph pump in there. I have not changed the filter though could that reduce the volume? wtf.

Then they are saying the water pump has leaked on my ebay opti so its a multiple f**ing issue.

The grand total to replace the fuel pump, opti, and water pump parts and labor ....are you ready? 2300.00.

It looks like I'll be wrenching on this mf again.....

9. Badazz 97 T/A

what brand opti? a cheapo no name?

10. erniez28

Yea dealer will rape you everytime. Unless you got a defective FP I would look at the fuel filter first and see what happens. Instead of replacing the opti and paying the dealer do the ls1 conversion I posted a web address on another thread for this, its an entire kit for $1500 which eliminates the opti and uses the 8 coil ls1 setup. You could have that installed for about $800 which is oh $2300 total lol. They wanted $600 bucks just to change my ignition wires at the dealer, go figure.

11. Z28head

pos ebay opti. cant remember the brand

12. mychevyisntheavy

you should have put a new sock on the new pump, and a new fuel filter on to. and are you sure that the opti is not in a 180 degs out?

13. Z28head

Its very possible, the dildo that put the fuel pump and opti on is dumber than I thought.