Changing Door Locks on a 73 Camaro

Discussion in 'Camaro Articles' started by Harleybill, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Harleybill

Well I just went through a fun period trying to get door locks for the 73 and knowing some of this info would have been very helpful. I ordered a set for the 73 and it came. Took it over to my friends and when I opened the package the locks had a longer cylinder than the original ones so I called the parts company and they said that the long cylinders were correct. With that being said I looked up another catalog company and this one showed both the long and short cylinders (why would they use different ones) so I ordered the shorts and waited another 4 days for delivery. They came and they were the correct short cylinder but unfortunately they also had an issue. The Pawl Door Lock Cylinder that was attached to the original locks in the door didn't fit. So now I have 2 sets of locks and none of them work. Lucky for me I ordered a set of Pawl's that I forgot about and went back to get them. They were shorter than the ones on the original but actually fit the long cylinder locks. Put the locks in and everything was great after that. Basic moral of the story, if you buy door locks, make sure you also get the correct pawls to go with that combo. It will save you a lot of time and aggravation.

Tags:
  2. 727FE

Welcome Bill , I buy many items on eBay and send so many back , now that you mention locks not sure if mine work or if the keys work