Best cam for a DD

Discussion in '4th Gen Camaro LT1 (1993-1997 Camaro)' started by PwrTrip97, Jul 22, 2007.

1. PwrTrip97

i was thinkin about different mods to do. this is down the road a little bit but was wondering what the best cam would be for a daily driver. besides the hot cam. still looking to pass emissions and everything. just most bang for the buck. just getting some info for now. thanks in advance.

Tags:
  2. nighthawk15

You can definitely pass emissions with a Comp Cams CC305, but that will not yeild much more power than a hot cam. If you have a reeeeaaaallllyyy good tune you might be able to pass with a CC503, which is an awesome street cam.

3. doug_20

Am I wrong or am I right? I didn't think the stock heads with the lifters and valves would work well with an aftermarket cam. I thought if you did that, you need an upgrade on the heads. I thought I heard that either it doesn't work efficiently or else it wears out the lifters and valves and springs quicker. BUT, maybe somebody needs to raise the BS flag on me.

4. doug_20

5. PwrTrip97

well i would want to do somthing with the whole top end when i do it. Heads and intake. i was thinking just porting the stock ones or maybe something from LE.

6. Puck

Lift wise, this is true. Just keep in mind that the stock heads fall on their face around 6200rpm, and even the LT4 springs are only good to .525 lift.

If you upgrade the springs and pick a cam that doesnt need crazy rpms, then stock heads are fine for a mild DD setup.

7. BlackY2kZ28

cc305 is the best way to go

8. one eyed willy

i like my hot cam alot!

9. Jpack

I wouldn't worry too much about emissions in Illinois. Throw which ever cam you want in it that will suit your needs. For emissions, all you need is the ready codes set for when they plug in. If all checks out when they plug in, you go out the door with a pass. I have seen border line track only cars go in, the techs laugh and say this thing is never going to pass, smelling like the gas station rolling in, pass with flying colors and the tecks are laughing lie crazy. You will be fine with a good tune.

10. myltwon

cc503 here and lovin it

11. nighthawk15

Oh yeah man, I didn't notice before you got an OBDII car. Emissions arent even an issue for you then because you just get the computer scanned. Definitely go with the CC503.:headbang:

12. Gatorhead

This is in reference to the springs and valve train altogether. I am with Myltwon on the 503 outside of the hotcam. As stated you will have to do supporting mods to achieve the full potential of that camshaft. Anything larger than that and you need actual headwork.

13. Crows89RS

cc503 is a good DD cam.

14. myltwon

I've seen people put down some good dyno numbers withe gm847/cc306 but I have yet to say many if any at all track times for them, plus I wasn't ready to spin the amount of rpm needed to get the most out of those cams on my 130k bottom end

15. PwrTrip97

thanks for the info guys. helped out a lot. also on the whole emissions thing in illinois. does anybody know if they do a visual inspection at all??

16. myltwon

well if you have a dynomax bullet for an exhaust I doubt it

17. Puck

The heads will still allow the peak, but its more about how much area under the curve. There are plenty of high dyno'ing 847 cars on stock heads that run slower then hotcams or baby LPE cams at the track.

360 to the wheels is fine and dandy, but for the track I'd rather have a smooth slope to 345 then a big cammed stock head lt1 with no low end, 360rwhp for 50-something rpm, then steep plummit to nothingness :)

18. PwrTrip97

i've actually never took the car to get emissions yet and i've had it for a year and half now. not sure how long it is before you take a car to emissions.

19. RatedZ

LT4 Hot Cam or CC305.