Question About Transporting Freshly Painted Body Panels

Discussion in 'Show & Shine' started by wise690, Jun 21, 2010.

1. wise690

I recently bought a new front bumper cover and passenger fender. After test fitting, I arranged to have them painted by a guy who lives about 20 minutes away from me. I took both to him on Saturday and he was going to pick up sealer/paint/clear coat that afternoon. He said they would both be done late Wednesday or early Thursday and they would be wetsanded/buffed and ready to pick up.

I am going to load them in the boxes they shipped in and put them in the bed of a buddies pickup. It's a short trip, but I dont want to damage the fesh paint. What should I wrap them in before putting them in their boxes? Would bubble wrap do any harm?

Tags:
  2. FANTA-Z Staff Alumni

Its not hard to take the bumper cover off so I would just swap them there and you wont have to worry about that part of it. I would just wrap in a soft comforter or something like that if your wanting to pack them back up and bring them home.

3. wise690

Thanks, Glenn. I would swap it there but I just got a few new interior pieces and some other things for the car that keep it from being driveable right now. Cleaning the interior and carpet out really good this week to swap seats.

4. Chris

Id just lay them in the bed with a blanket or something. They are not going anywhere

5. wise690

I'll probably just do that, and wrap it up pretty good. My painter called me earlier and said the parts should be ready to pick up tomorrow evening. I'll post pics this weekend when I finish detailing the car.

My painter sent me this pic earlier but I just uploaded it:

[​IMG]#ad

6. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Looks like he did a fine job. I would just get some bubble wrap from Home Depot, or a packing store and that should do it. If you want to go the extra mile, go to a parts store and get some cheese cloth, and wrap it in that first, then the bubble wrap.

7. wise690

Oh, thanks Ryatt. We wrapped it in sheets and plastic wrap and put the parts in their boxes. I didn't realize until later that the pic was before clear. I've got everything on and it came out great. Here's a quick pic until I can get the car really cleaned up.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

8. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Wow Brett, for no blending at all, that looks awsome!!

9. wise690

Thanks, Ryatt! I should say though, those are cell phone pics. The paint matching isn't as obvious from the bumper to the hood/d-fender. It is easier to tell though when looking at the transition from the door to the passenger fender. I just finished cleaning the car up and I'm going to try to get some new pics posted up tomorrow before it gets dark. My paint is faded though between the 13 yr old paint job, and a little over 154k miles.

10. Ryatt-Motion Staff Alumni

Yeah, there is always bound to be a noticable transition in color when the paint isn't blended; however, your guy did a really good job on trying to get it right. I would definitely like to see more of your car, so get some more pics when you can.