HD Radio

Discussion in 'Mobile Electronics' started by Ethan, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Ethan

I finally ordered a new stereo for my truck, just a a few hours ago actually. I bought an HD unit because the analog version was out of stock. I've never had an HD radio and was wondering from those of you who have them, how many more channels did you get and is it a big improvement?

-Will post pics of the unit once it's installed :biggrin:

Tags:
  2. LT1 Weezy

It depends on the stations in your area that broadcast in HD

3. Ethan

Pics coming soon. Finals week, enough said lol. I have noticed a few of the stations to sound much clearer, might have gained a few channels on FM but there are some I never got on AM.

4. Not Dave

I recently ordered a new head unit with HD built in. I've heard some HD channels in Austin, TX, and they're OK. More often than not I listen to online streaming music through my cell phone either with Slacker or Pandora (Slacker has better variety, Pandora plays the same songs over and over). Sometimes when I'm just running errands and making many stops I don't bother with online radio so figured I'll get something with HD. As for radio stations Austin pretty much sucks but their HD variety is getting better. I used to have XM in my truck but don't drive it very much so cancelled the service. XM was good for variety but sound quality sucks, it's like AM stereo. I hate listening to commercials and DJ's that's why I had XM and listen to online radio or plug in the MP3 player.

FWIW I ordered a refurbished Kenwood KDC-BT758HD head unit. I've never had problems with any refurbished things I've bought over the years. The head unit has blue tooth so I can do the hands free calling also, works well with a standard transmission (also known as stick shift or manual M6). Not that I'm on the phone much, just sometimes.