Backwards Clutch Symptoms

Discussion in '4th Gen Camaro LT1 (1993-1997 Camaro)' started by MrAndersonGCC, Mar 27, 2024.

1. MrAndersonGCC

Hi, new to the forums. I understand that the LT1 T56 is unique in that it is possible to install the clutch disc backwards. I know which way it goes now, but I can’t recall which way I installed it. This is a swap car (83 Jaguar XJS with a blueprint 350 crate engine).

I’ve driven it a few times. New street McLeod clutch; it doesn’t slip but quite a bit of chatter. Pedal feel is normal in my book. Brand new TO bearing and pilot bearing. New OE flywheel as well.

Bottom line question: what are the driving characteristics of an LT1 T56 with the clutch installed backwards? I need to decide if it’s worth the trouble of dropping the transmission and taking off the pressure plate to confirm which way the clutch disc is facing.

If you guys are confident that driving it would be impossible, then I know I installed it the right way and don’t need to bother messing with it.

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. Bright676

Check the throw out bearing, I put mine in backwards once

3. MrAndersonGCC

My throwout bearing is in the right way, it’s just the clutch disc I’m wondering about

4. Z28/Ken Staff Member Admin

McLeod says chatter is normal during a break-in period of approximately 900 clutch cycles (about 500 miles).