4th gen 98-02 rim width and backspacing

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tires and Suspension' started by new2002z28owner, Jul 22, 2022.

1. new2002z28owner

I did a search and got the backspacing on the weld draglites for a 93-97. Would that be the same or different than a 98-02? Looking to purchase a set used possibly and need to make sure they will fit. 8" rim I believe I would run. Thank you.

Tags:
  2. mullettcar

pretty sure the only difference between a 93-97 and a 98-02 is engine and front end the rest is the same car pretty much

3. new2002z28owner

Alright I was thinking it was but not sure. Thank you.

4. mullettcar

i just remembered the rotors might be different i knoww the front rotors are bigger on the front of a 98-02 compared to a 93-97

5. new2002z28owner

i'm worried about the back actually. I would have runners up front 4.5 inches wide i believe so it wouldn't be an issue i don't think

6. mullettcar

are you talking 8'' dia or 8'' wide cause if you are talking wide you can go with a 11.5 to 12 '' wide

7. new2002z28owner

8" wide rim in back. 4.5 in front. what largest size tire would an 8" rim take? I had some 295/50s on a 69 Chevelle. I don't think i'd go any bigger. The ones i'm looking at are just 255/60 on an 8" rim width 4.5 backspacing. Came off a Nova not sure what year so I was surprised they would fit but happy if I do get them. They are about a hour and a half from me and I'd probably have to drive the car all the way there (which I don't mind other than gas costs) and try a wheel on but after what you told me hopefully I can put them in my SUV doubt they would fit in my Camaro without sitting a couple on the back seats which I don't want to do.

8. mullettcar

305 is about max but i think unlees you have air shocks you would need to roll the fender a little bit

9. new2002z28owner

The wrecking yard has some 20" black stock Camaro rims i kinda wanted. $300 for all 4 on tires. I thought that was a good deal but they were really wide I don't think they'd fit. And yes the rotors are bigger on 98-02. I was more asking about the rear because I wouldn't run anything too big in the front but if I grabbed those newer Camaro rims they were wide all around but like I said I don't think they'd work. Good deal though.

10. mullettcar

i put my 2010 camaro 20'' rims on my 95 they went on i think as long as you dont go over 305 you would be good

11. new2002z28owner

OK cool maybe I will grab them. $300 and needs 1 tire but still good deal considering how much they go for new.

12. 4thand26

i've replaced my salad shooter wheels with y2k wheels, i had to file about 1/32 inch off the inside to fit the front or rear hubs, can't remeber, it didn't take long