3rd gen 82z

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tires and Suspension' started by 8T2Z, Apr 6, 2021.

1. 8T2Z

Looking to up grade the stock 305/4 spd, to a 5 or 6 spd. What would be the better choices of trannys, T-5, T-10,T-56 ?

Tags:
  2. Bill Hubbs

Depending on which 4 speed you have, a BW 5 speed might be the easiest swap and give you overdrive. You might be able to swap a BW 5 speed with little else. My choice would be a T-56 6 speed. It has 2 overdrive gears for easy highway cruising. A T-56 would likely require a new flywheel, clutch, bell housing, cross member, driveshaft, some shifter opening work and some electrical work. Used 5 or 6 speed units can be had, if you can afford it new would be better.

3. 8T2Z

Thanks for the reply, Bill. I was thinking of getting the T-56 from Hawkins3rd gen, at $2,800. With the items listed below , do you suggest anything else needed, besides what's in ( ), to plug in place , with this purchase ? I spoke with 1 of their reps, and she stated I might need to modify the cross member. This is all new to me, any help is very much appreciated.
    Parts List:
    * 93-97 Style T-56 Transmission (Used)
    * T-56 Bellhousing (Used)
    * Clutch & Flywheel (Used, we recommend buying new) (please note pre-86 cars with two piece rear main seals WILL need to purchase a new flywheel RAM-2555)
    * Lower Shift Boot (Used)
    * 6 Speed Pedals (Used)
    * Hydraulics (Slave and Master, Used, we recommend buying new)
    * Shifter w/ Knob (Used)
    * Transmission crossmember (New)
    * Torque Arm Bracket (Used, if necessary)
    * All necessary connectors and pigtails (Used, exp. neutral safety switch, brake switch, etc...)
    * All necessary hardware need to complete the install
    * New Manual Shifter Plate w/ 6 Speed Icon (only if it's a 82-92 Camaro OR 85-92 Firebird, no shifter plates are sent for 1982-1984 Firebird)

4. Bill Hubbs

I believe a 5 speed may be a simple swap. Not much if anything required beyond the transmission itself.

The T-56 will be more work but well worth it to me.

That deal is hard to beat. I believe they sell those as a kit with the parts listed included. I would purchase a new clutch kit, new flywheel and if your car has a mechanical clutch now a hydraulic clutch master and slave cylinder. I'm not sure if your driveshaft will work. Some custom work may be required to fit a hydraulic clutch to your clutch pedal, you may need to swap pedals from the kit. If your car uses a speedometer cable, you will need to adapt the electronic speed out put to your car as well.

You will need a flywheel for the t-56 designed to be used with an earlier SBC.
    The clutch kit should be for a 93-97 Z-28

Can you post up some pictures of your car ??

5. 8T2Z

I just have this one only. z pic  #2.jpeg #ad

6. Bill Hubbs

Thanks, good looking car. I've always liked thirdgen Camaros. I think I watched too much Knight rider when I was younger. Another consideration is the value of the car. To me it would be worth more with a T-56. To others any modification might take away from the value.