1997 Camaro Pulley Questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'V6, I6 and I4 Performance (All Years)' started by dlojones, Apr 27, 2024.

1. dlojones

Hi Guys, first of all thank you for the wonderful forum. I am looking for some feedback, suggestions, on the following:

I have a 1997 Camaro with AC and a V6 engine. It has 100K miles on it. I drove it the other day, and the belt broke. My friend came over to help me replace the Tensioner Pulley and belt. We put it on, and it was all working great. There were no issues, no grinding or bearing problems, and now, all of a sudden, it is going crazy. If you see the video, you will see what I mean. I am stranded right now and need help figuring out what else I should replace. I would appreciate it if you could help a newbie out.

1997, Chevy, Camaro, and 3.6L V6 size, Automatic Transmission
    Camaro Video
    https://youtube.com/shorts/T4J3BIuH0FU?si=Hi431QwjihpUqEov
    I have added the video ^^; please let me know if there is any problem watching/viewing it.

Tags:
  2. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Your water pump bearing is dead. Replace the water pump and all will be well. You can see the WP pulley wobbling.

3. dlojones

4. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Not the power steering, the water pump. Watch the video (or go out and look at your car) and you will see that pulley wobbling. With the engine off, I'm sure you can also move that WP pulley.

Screenshot 2024-04-27 185428.jpg #ad

5. dlojones

Roger that. thank you. Do you have any specific stores you would recommend to buy this at? I am in CA

6. Tony Staff Member Super Moderator

Sorry for the delay, super busy with work. Any reputable auto parts store will have the water pump for that engine.

7. ss6532

Rock auto is good they have ACdelco at a good price.